ATL: CRISTOBAL - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 93L - Models

#61 Postby ROCK » Sun May 31, 2020 7:46 pm

Let it develop then models will grasp track and intensity...wait for it say 24hrs 8-)
2 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#62 Postby cycloneye » Sun May 31, 2020 8:27 pm

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#63 Postby Steve » Sun May 31, 2020 8:50 pm

GFS's sit-n-spin goes along with RMM1/RMM2 model runs which drop it into Phase 1 and then shoot it back up in Phase 1 for the next two weeks. That's an odd look, but it makes sense in the model run. European was similar back either Wed or Thurs night

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... ncpe.shtml
1 likes   

N2FSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#64 Postby N2FSU » Sun May 31, 2020 11:41 pm

0z GFS; stronger and north shift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby Steve » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:26 am

The Icon (German one) has a 970ish storm approaching Grand Isle and taking a left at the LA Coast and eventually going into Jefferson County, TX or extreme SW Cameron Parish, LA (or so) before going north into the Piney Woods. There would be a lot of tidal and coastal flooding if this was to be the case. Probably some inland river and stream flooding as well.
1 likes   

Pas_Bon
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#66 Postby Pas_Bon » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:29 am

Steve wrote:The Icon (German one) has a 970ish storm approaching Grand Isle and taking a left at the LA Coast and eventually going into Jefferson County, TX or extreme SW Cameron Parish, LA (or so) before going north into the Piney Woods. There would be a lot of tidal and coastal flooding if this was to be the case. Probably some inland river and stream flooding as well.

I just don’t see that happening in the least. Would be awful, for sure, but I think the chances of that happening are essentially nil.
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#67 Postby TheProfessor » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:32 am

Pas_Bon wrote:
Steve wrote:The Icon (German one) has a 970ish storm approaching Grand Isle and taking a left at the LA Coast and eventually going into Jefferson County, TX or extreme SW Cameron Parish, LA (or so) before going north into the Piney Woods. There would be a lot of tidal and coastal flooding if this was to be the case. Probably some inland river and stream flooding as well.

I just don’t see that happening in the least. Would be awful, for sure, but I think the chances of that happening are essentially nil.

I wouldn't rule out anything this far out. The 0z Canadian and 12z Euro do something similar. It's too early to rule anything out and we've seen some freak steering current incidents over the last few years.
4 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#68 Postby Steve » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:36 am

Pas_Bon wrote:

As The Professor would say right before this post, the CMC does it too. Maybe the track at the coast ends up a bit like Gustav '08 except it detours left before land.
Here we are a week from last night.
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 100&fh=144

If you run the model, you can see what it's thinking. We're under a week until impact, so anyone who needs anything might want to target getting your stuff early during the week before any panic sets in.
1 likes   

Dylan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#69 Postby Dylan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:38 am

The European remains quite aggressive in the short term, with organization quickly into a depression by Monday night & a strong tropical storm Tuesday into Wednesday in the extreme southern Bay of Campeche.

Land interaction with a possible landfall somewhere near Veracruz to Tobasco would have major implications on long term track & intensity of this disturbance.
4 likes   
Georges('98), Allison('01), Isidore('02), Lili('02), Frances('04) Ivan('04), Cindy('05), Katrina('05), Rita('05), Gustav('08), Isaac('12), Matthew('16), Harvey('17), Irma('17), Nate ('17), Ida ('21).

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#70 Postby kevin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:30 am

I'm not sure how good ICON is at hurricane track and intensity forecasts (if I recall correctly it didn't do that well with Dorian last year), but I still wanted to mention that it remains very aggressive in terms of intensification with a 967 mbar hurricane at @120 hours.

1 likes   

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#71 Postby tailgater » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:08 am

We should know in about 24 - 6 hrs if the ICON has any validity. It’s has the system moving north earlier than the rest.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:09 am

kevin wrote:I'm not sure how good ICON is at hurricane track and intensity forecasts (if I recall correctly it didn't do that well with Dorian last year), but I still wanted to mention that it remains very aggressive in terms of intensification with a 967 mbar hurricane at @120 hours.

https://i.imgur.com/MWWhHUl.png

The ICON is horrible. I’d trust the CMC before I trust this model, and even the CMC tends to be overly aggressive.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#73 Postby aspen » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:41 am

While they all have varying intensity estimates, the GFS and Euro show one system in the BOC before dying as the CAG throws up another one into the Gulf, while the CMC, NAVGEM, ICON, and HWRF all show 93L sort of stalling and then moving between NNW and NE.

The GFS is still pretty weak on the potential second system, but the Euro shows more substance. The CMC and NAVGEM struggle consolidating 93L and have an incredibly broad system, while the ICON and HWRF do show a consolidated system, with the ICON being extra aggressive (up to a Cat 2 hurricane) and the HWRF being rather tame (strong TS/minimal hurricane).
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#74 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:00 am

aspen wrote:While they all have varying intensity estimates, the GFS and Euro show one system in the BOC before dying as the CAG throws up another one into the Gulf, while the CMC, NAVGEM, ICON, and HWRF all show 93L sort of stalling and then moving between NNW and NE.

The GFS is still pretty weak on the potential second system, but the Euro shows more substance. The CMC and NAVGEM struggle consolidating 93L and have an incredibly broad system, while the ICON and HWRF do show a consolidated system, with the ICON being extra aggressive (up to a Cat 2 hurricane) and the HWRF being rather tame (strong TS/minimal hurricane).

I'm thinking a high end TS or Cat.1 hurricane seems like the best bet right now with future Cristobal or Dolly.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#75 Postby NDG » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:30 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
kevin wrote:I'm not sure how good ICON is at hurricane track and intensity forecasts (if I recall correctly it didn't do that well with Dorian last year), but I still wanted to mention that it remains very aggressive in terms of intensification with a 967 mbar hurricane at @120 hours.

The ICON is horrible. I’d trust the CMC before I trust this model, and even the CMC tends to be overly aggressive.

Yep, the ICON is horrible, I lost all my trust with it after last year's horrible performance.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#76 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:41 am

NDG wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:

Yep, the ICON is horrible, I lost all my trust with it after last year's horrible performance.

It kept insisting that Dorian would continue west into SE Florida while all the other models insisted on a sharp turn north somewhere over Grand Bahama Island. That right there was enough for me to lose trust in it, not to mention it's overly aggressive on development more so than the CMC it seems.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#77 Postby aspen » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:43 am

NDG wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:

It was the only model that correctly predicted Dorian’s safe passage between Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, though. Just about every other model kept forecasting it to die crashing into PR or Hispaniola until the last minute.
4 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#78 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:44 am

aspen wrote:
NDG wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:The ICON is horrible. I’d trust the CMC before I trust this model, and even the CMC tends to be overly aggressive.

It was the only model that correctly predicted Dorian’s safe passage between Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, though. Just about every other model kept forecasting it to die crashing into PR or Hispaniola until the last minute.

Yeah but it also never let up on a landfalling Dorian in SE Florida which obviously never came close to happening.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#79 Postby NDG » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:58 am

aspen wrote:
NDG wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:The ICON is horrible. I’d trust the CMC before I trust this model, and even the CMC tends to be overly aggressive.

It got lucky that one time :D
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#80 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:27 am

The Bam model tracks and intensities.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “2020”