ATL: BETA - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: ATL: BETA - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#941 Postby Portastorm » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:19 pm

With almost a half inch of rain since midnight, the Austin area has recorded the highest rainfall total from an Atlantic tropical system since Hurricane Harvey in 2017.

Thank you, Beta!
3 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

wicked_wx_watcher
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#942 Postby wicked_wx_watcher » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:35 pm

Clear Lake getting some training right now. 1.5 “ in the last hour. Ponding on the roads but it doesn’t take much for that, terrible drainage.

Not going to complain about the rainfall, we’ve missed most of the storms that hit Houston this summer.
1 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#943 Postby SoupBone » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:35 pm

Still nothing NW of Harris. No wind, no rain since last night. I guess we'll see once this heads more north if we see some of those bands.

Of course, as I'm typing this it starts sprinkling! :lol:
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#944 Postby Hurricane Mike » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:47 pm

The only hope is that maybe because Beta has so much dry air around it that maybe the rainfall won't be as high as it could be with other slow moving storms.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#945 Postby aspen » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:05 pm

Assuming Beta remains intact, it will be the sixth TS or stronger landfall in the Gulf this year. The amount of activity in the Gulf has been ridiculous in 2020 — 6 named storms, 4 hurricanes, and 1 major that made landfall at peak intensity.
3 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

davidiowx
Category 1
Category 1

#946 Postby davidiowx » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:09 pm

Closing in on 2.5" here in Richmond. Rain rates are picking up as I type this and looks like it is going to continue over the next several hours. HRRR running shows a slight lull in activity and then really ramps it up later this evening. Time will tell..
1 likes   

Craters
Category 1
Category 1

#947 Postby Craters » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:13 pm

That feeder band just south of Houston dumped on us for an hour or maybe a little more. Got 2.7" out of it. In a break now, but it looks like more will be coming a little later.
1 likes   
Nothing that I post here should ever be treated as a forecast or anything resembling one. Please check with your local NWS office or the NHC for forecasts, watches, and warnings.

wx98
Category 5
Category 5

#948 Postby wx98 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:18 pm

Looks like landfall between Matagorda and Port O’Connor will be coming shortly.
0 likes   

funster
Category 3
Category 3

#949 Postby funster » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:33 pm

Beta's rainfall impact bigger than anticipated? 6 inches possible in areas through 8 pm.

https://twitter.com/DaveDoppler/status/1308133047804534787

0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#950 Postby LSU2001 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:40 pm

I am holed up in a hotel room in Houston near the galleria. I drove in from Cut Off this morning because I have dr. appts tomorrow and
wednesday at MD Anderson. I had steady but very light rain from Cut Off to Lake Charles then no rain and dry roads from Lake Charles all the way into east Houston. Here it is currently light rain and about 70 degrees. No wind is even noticiable as the trees are barely moving.
I will update later with conditions.
Tim
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Storm Battered
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#951 Postby Storm Battered » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:41 pm

aspen wrote:Assuming Beta remains intact, it will be the sixth TS or stronger landfall in the Gulf this year. The amount of activity in the Gulf has been ridiculous in 2020 — 6 named storms, 4 hurricanes, and 1 major that made landfall at peak intensity.

The system that eventually became Fay also started in the Gulf. Doesn't really count, but it's still interesting.

So is that a record for the Gulf?
0 likes   

wx98
Category 5
Category 5

#952 Postby wx98 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:50 pm

...SLOW-MOVING BETA GETTING CLOSER TO THE TEXAS COAST... ...TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WIND GUSTS AND HEAVY RAINS OCCURRING OVER THE CENTRAL TEXAS COASTAL AREA...

4:00 PM CDT Mon Sep 21
Moving: NW at 5 mph
Min pressure: 999 mb
Max sustained: 45 mph
Last edited by wx98 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Michele B
Category 4
Category 4

#953 Postby Michele B » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:50 pm

We had more rain than anything Beta dropped yesterday here in SW FL. Just watched local mets talking about how much rain. More than 4", I believe.

If you looked at the cloud movement, it's like we had a cyclonic circulation system come across the state from east to west. You could see it in the clouds! And then dropped immense amounts of rain yesterday and last night. So much so that a special weather statement came out noting flooding in the Peace River and points north.

Not trying to derail the Beta thread, but just pointing out how much MORE rain we had compared to an actual tropical system (who was supposed to drop plenty of precip, but apparently was unable to do so). At first I thought it was training from Beta, but it's completely dissipated now and it didn't seem to come from that direction, so I don't think it was associated with Beta. Not sure where it came from or where it went, but the rain we had yesterday was beyond ANYTHING we've had recently....even during any TS, such as Laura as she passed by us to the south/west.
1 likes   
Cleo - 1964, Betsy - 1965, David - 1979, Andrew - 1992, Charlie (Francis, Ivan, Jeanne) - 2004, Irma - 2017, Ian - 2022

wx98
Category 5
Category 5

#954 Postby wx98 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:52 pm

Michele B wrote:We had more rain than anything Beta dropped yesterday here in SW FL. Just watched local mets talking about how much rain. More than 4", I believe.

If you looked at the cloud movement, it's like we had a cyclonic circulation system come across the state from east to west. You could see it in the clouds! And then dropped immense amounts of rain yesterday and last night. So much so that a special weather statement came out noting flooding in the Peace River and points north.

Not trying to derail the Beta thread, but just pointing out how much MORE rain we had compared to an actual tropical system (who was supposed to drop plenty of precip, but apparently was unable to do so). At first I thought it was training from Beta, but it's completely dissipated now and it didn't seem to come from that direction, so I don't think it was associated with Beta. Not sure where it came from or where it went, but the rain we had yesterday was beyond ANYTHING we've had recently....even during any TS, such as Laura as she passed by us to the south/west.

Yes, that was a separate naked swirl which dropped out of the front that absorbed Sally (this wasn’t Sally though). It moved into the Gulf and apparently dissipated.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#955 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:52 pm

Decent rains coming onshore.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#956 Postby Hurricane Mike » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:52 pm

0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#957 Postby Nimbus » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:56 pm

Lots of dry slot but Galveston has been stuck in a squall band off and on today.
Houston radar is an easy place to get the forecast, still some central circulation and NHC keeping surface pressure at 999mb with a few tropical storm gusts probably in the squalls.

GFS tracks the remnants NW over the gulf for almost 90 hours, but there is a lot of dry air just to the west. A small core could regenerate even if the NHC downgrades to a TD. We have seen systems with broad shallow pressure gradients just spin around harmlessly with lots of dry slots in a dry environment but squall bands can still cause local flooding if Beta persists.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#958 Postby SoupBone » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:58 pm

I'm up to 1" of rain over the last 2 days now, but it's stopped for now.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#959 Postby cheezyWXguy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:07 pm

Lol I think this is the most central banding features I’ve seen it exhibit its entire life
5 likes   

galvbay
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#960 Postby galvbay » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:23 pm

North side of Galveston Bay here...
1.5” rain last 48 hours...41mph gust and temps mid 70’s.
2 likes   

Return to “2020”