Re: ATL: INVEST 95L - Discussion

#41 Postby SFLcane » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:16 am

3 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:21 am

I really am not comfortable with how so many members take it right into the islands that were devastated by Irma and Maria 4 years ago (yes, that includes PR). Not saying we will see anything that strong with this storm of course, but it just gives me very discouraging vibes.
4 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby SFLcane » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:29 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:I really am not comfortable with how so many members take it right into the islands that were devastated by Irma and Maria 4 years ago (yes, that includes PR). Not saying we will see anything that strong with this storm of course, but it just gives me very discouraging vibes.

I have vibes of Frances or Irma track with this one.
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:38 am

SFLcane wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:I really am not comfortable with how so many members take it right into the islands that were devastated by Irma and Maria 4 years ago (yes, that includes PR). Not saying we will see anything that strong with this storm of course, but it just gives me very discouraging vibes.

Oh yeah for sure, also some bits of Georges sprinkled in too
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#45 Postby toad strangler » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:39 am

Gotta learn to separate that stuff from the science! There is nothing anyone of us can do to change the outcome of a storm except to prepare.
6 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby aspen » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:41 am

It’s quite apparent on visible imagery that 95L has a very elongated circulation, but it seems to be rotating to a more vertical orientation. Also, since one end is covered in convection and the other end is exposed, the dry end might weaken and die off, or the new orientation could help the circulation tighten.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

USVIKimmie
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#47 Postby USVIKimmie » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:55 am

Once you've been following a while (not sure how long you've been reading) you'll learn who's bullish and who's words to take as gospel.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:21 am

toad strangler wrote:

Gotta learn to separate that stuff from the science! There is nothing anyone of us can do to change the outcome of a storm except to prepare.

Yeah I know. All I am saying is that the paths I suppose remind me of those specific events in the past. It's also very hard to imagine that every year since 2015 has featured at least one very damaging and impactful cyclone, so it almost feels like with every new season we know we're going to see some very bad storm but we don't know where in the Atlantic it will impact exactly.
0 likes   

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#49 Postby Stormybajan » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:26 am

Convection looks to be on the slight increase again right now as it heads west. I think whats a bit encouraging atleast right now is that models are aggressive with this as of yet. Maybe it will stay weak and traverse through the leewards as a strong wave
0 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:30 am

Stormybajan wrote:Convection looks to be on the slight increase again right now as it heads west. I think whats a bit encouraging atleast right now is that models are aggressive with this as of yet. Maybe it will stay weak and traverse through the leewards as a strong wave

If you’re wanting a storm to recurve then it would be better for it to strengthen where it’s at now vs further west.
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby SFLcane » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:33 am

Cpv17 wrote:
Stormybajan wrote:Convection looks to be on the slight increase again right now as it heads west. I think whats a bit encouraging atleast right now is that models are aggressive with this as of yet. Maybe it will stay weak and traverse through the leewards as a strong wave

If you’re wanting a storm to recurve then it would be better for it to strengthen where it’s at now vs further west.

It’s not recurving anytime soon high pressure in place across central Atl will drive everything west.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#52 Postby tolakram » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:45 am

saved loop
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#53 Postby toad strangler » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:49 am

SFLcane wrote:

What's worrisome for me is that by the time 95L gets to the western basin the dates will be full of historical strong storm anniversaries.
6 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby aspen » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:55 am

We have 4, maybe 5 days maximum, before 95L reaches the Lesser Antilles. I think it’ll probably develop sometime before then, but probably not for another two days because of its currently elongated circulation. Way too early to guess intensity when it hits the islands until we have a better defined center or a bona-dude TC. Hopefully the HWRF starts running soon, and hopefully it’ll have better success with 95L than Elsa or Fred.
3 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Hurrilurker
Category 2
Category 2

#55 Postby Hurrilurker » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:57 am

Teban54 wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:I've got a feeling this is gonna be a long thread. Here we go...

We're already at 42 pages for Fred which just formed 3 hours ago. If 95L takes on a similar path as Fred (kind of likely at this point), we might jolly well surpass that by the time it comes close to PR.

It looks like it's tracking right in Fred's wake. Fred looks like it may barely hit hurricane status, if even that, however it looks poised to drop a lot of rain over at least 4-5 states. If 95 comes in a few days behind it with even more rain, mass flooding seems like a very large concern. There won't be time for everything from Fred to dry/drain before they get hit with more.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#56 Postby SoupBone » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:03 am

Why does Fred and this system have late-season Octoberish vibes?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#57 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:06 am

Also, if Fred struggles, wouldn't that mean this next system would have to deal with less upwelling from Fred or any associated shear from Fred? If anything I would think we would need to root for Fred to become somewhat strong so this next system would have less favorable conditions to work with down the line? I could be very wrong, but from my understanding this setup looks to be somewhat similar to the Laura/Marco situation?
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#58 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:07 am

SoupBone wrote:Why does Fred and this system have late-season Octoberish vibes?

Because they could both hit Florida.
0 likes   

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#59 Postby Stormybajan » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:08 am

Cpv17 wrote:

Yeah I agree with Sflcane here...if it were to strength I dont think it would be allowed to recurve far enough north to miss any land masses but with no well defined circulation for the next few days anything can still happen. Time to sit back and watch
0 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#60 Postby gatorcane » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:12 am

Could be another one which the big islands interfere with, time will tell. Plenty of time to watch it. Clearly not very organized at all at the moment.

1 likes   

Return to “2021”