ATL: SAM - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 98L - Discussion

#61 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:28 am

IMO I think there's a non-zero chance this ends up in the Caribbean. GFS tends to underestimate ridges and now with the collapse in convection and the SAL lurking, it's probably not going to develop nearly as soon as it looked like it could yesterday. These weaker storms can be sneaky and get further west than modeled, so I think all the islands are in play here and so is the eastern CONUS. Until we see an actual turn and recurve, this one is going to have to be watched.
4 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#62 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:29 am

aspen wrote:Imagine this suddenly doesn’t develop and becomes another Peter after all of this model support that exceeds what Peter ever had lol

If 98L doesn’t start regaining convection by tonight, the HWRF is probably going to bust (again).

Eh, I doubt that will be the case; because of the simple fact that 98L's long term future does not as of currently involve any TUTTs and phenomenal shear like Peter did.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#63 Postby aspen » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:33 am

Weather Dude wrote:and now with the collapse in convection and the SAL lurking, it's probably not going to develop nearly as soon as it looked like it could yesterday.

Pretty much all models don’t have a developed TC until Friday or early Saturday. That still seems reasonable now, unless 98L is still anemic by this time tomorrow.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#64 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:36 am

aspen wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:and now with the collapse in convection and the SAL lurking, it's probably not going to develop nearly as soon as it looked like it could yesterday.

Pretty much all models don’t have a developed TC until Friday or early Saturday. That still seems reasonable now, unless 98L is still anemic by this time tomorrow.

A couple runs yesterday looked like they developed it pretty quickly which seemed possible at the time since it was looking pretty good.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby SFLcane » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:51 am

Unfortunately there’s no Tutt in this invests path so conditions could be rather favorable nearing the islands.
0 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#66 Postby Sciencerocks » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:48 am

2 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#67 Postby aspen » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:54 am

Weather Dude wrote:
aspen wrote:

A couple runs yesterday looked like they developed it pretty quickly which seemed possible at the time since it was looking pretty good.

I forget if any global run yesterday broke the consensus and developed 98L quickly, but I definitely remember that the HMON was WAY too fast with development. If it verified, we would have a moderate TS by now, Hurricane Sam by late tomorrow, and a major on Friday. The more recent runs have come into agreement with the HWRF and the globals, showing slow development that picks up late Thursday into early Friday and has a moderate TS by early-mid Saturday.

I was expecting a spin-down phase for 98L after all the other good-looking waves we’ve seen this year. They look great initially due to strong MLCs, then have an anemic or less active phase, then they begin redeveloping convection that gets the MLC to form and LLC.
4 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#68 Postby SFLcane » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:57 am

0 likes   

jaxfladude
Category 5
Category 5

#69 Postby jaxfladude » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:06 am

Is this invest something to watch for Caribbean and/or others including ConUS? Or is the current background state staying negative long enough for this invrst lifespan?
0 likes   
Stay safe y'all

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#70 Postby wxman57 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:14 am

jaxfladude wrote:Is this invest something to watch for Caribbean and/or others including ConUS? Or is the current background state staying negative long enough for this invrst lifespan?

If it stays weak, it could enter the Caribbean. As for a U.S. threat, probably not. First strong cold front of the season will be moving out into the Gulf tonight. Jet stream digs south into the Gulf and off the East Coast next week. That would shut down the season for most of the U.S. The lone exception would be the FL Peninsula, where the prime season is Oct/Nov for systems coming out of the NW Caribbean.
5 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#71 Postby gatorcane » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:00 pm

wxman57 wrote:
jaxfladude wrote:Is this invest something to watch for Caribbean and/or others including ConUS? Or is the current background state staying negative long enough for this invrst lifespan?

If it stays weak, it could enter the Caribbean. As for a U.S. threat, probably not. First strong cold front of the season will be moving out into the Gulf tonight. Jet stream digs south into the Gulf and off the East Coast next week. That would shut down the season for most of the U.S. The lone exception would be the FL Peninsula, where the prime season is Oct/Nov for systems coming out of the NW Caribbean.

I agree, fronts are starting to move through. I don’t see 98l being a U.S threat. As for Florida always need to watch the Caribbean in October and maybe some of November with La Niña.
2 likes   

msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#72 Postby msbee » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:42 pm

I am in the cone again.
This one seems to be more of a possible threat to me than Peter was.
:cry:
#watching
3 likes   
Too many hurricanes to remember

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#73 Postby cycloneye » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:59 pm

A small but concentrated area of showers and thunderstorms is
redeveloping along a tropical wave located a few hundred miles
southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands. Environmental conditions are
expected to become more conducive for development, and a tropical
depression is likely to form by Thursday or Friday while the system
moves westward at 10 to 15 mph across the eastern and central
tropical Atlantic Ocean.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...60 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...90 percent.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#74 Postby cycloneye » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:00 pm

msbee wrote:

I am in the cone again.
This one seems to be more of a possible threat to me than Peter was.
:cry:
#watching

Yes, we have to watch closely this one. Let's see how it all evolve in the next few days.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#75 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:16 pm

Convection starting to blow up on the north side. Still has a ways to go, but it's making some progress since having hardly any convection at all this morning. I think we'll be looking at TD18/TS Sam by Friday or Saturday.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#76 Postby wxman57 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:34 pm

The Euro, which takes it to the northern DR as a hurricane at day 10, has 50+ kt W-WNW wind across the Florida straits at 200mb at day 10 and very dry air northward across the southeast U.S. and the Gulf. Not a favorable environment in its path. Will have to wait and see if/how/when it develops over the coming week to have a better idea of its future.
5 likes   

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#77 Postby ColdMiser123 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:53 pm

wxman57 wrote:The Euro, which takes it to the northern DR as a hurricane at day 10, has 50+ kt W-WNW wind across the Florida straits at 200mb at day 10 and very dry air northward across the southeast U.S. and the Gulf. Not a favorable environment in its path. Will have to wait and see if/how/when it develops over the coming week to have a better idea of its future.

There's a lot of volatility with the upper level wind forecast over Florida with the 0z to the 12z Euro, such uncertainty highlights why this should be watched closely over the next several days.

0z Euro:

12z Euro:

7 likes   
B.S., M.S., Meteorology & Atmospheric Science

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#78 Postby Sciencerocks » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:59 pm

1 likes   

WiscoWx02
Category 1
Category 1

#79 Postby WiscoWx02 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:05 pm

Honestly still waiting for the models to just poof this storm on the next couple runs. More likely than not IMO given how things have been this year with the models. Trends are certainly concerning on the Euro but until we have an actual storm, I'll take each run with about 5 grains of salt :lol:
2 likes   

Fancy1001
Category 1
Category 1

ATL: INVEST 98L - Models

#80 Postby Fancy1001 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:16 pm

Could South Florida finally get its due?
1 likes   

Return to “2021”