ATL: KARL - Post Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 93L - Discussion

#41 Postby GCANE » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:42 am

Shear continues to decrease across the GoM.
Most notably in the BoC.
Improvement in the ARWB continues.
The RW appears to be pulling a bit north over the southern coast of TX.
1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#42 Postby GCANE » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:46 am

Seeing an overall drop in rain-rate area.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:52 am

GCANE wrote:Looks like 93L's 700mb vort is breaking off from the vort south of the IoT
Same with 500mb vort.

Low level steering will collapse which is why models eventually trap whatever weak system they have and loop it around. but mid and upper level steering would take this north then probably NNE if it were to get up to a strong TS>
2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

hipshot
Category 1
Category 1

#44 Postby hipshot » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:59 am

GCANE wrote:Looks like 93L's 700mb vort is breaking off from the vort south of the IoT
Same with 500mb vort.

What is IoT?
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#45 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:03 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:almost certainly a TD/TS now. Models showing a weak trough/low getting trapped. and deeper TS would have a good shot of lifting N/NNE.

A TS now? Based on what evidence of a well-defined LLC and 34 kt winds? The last scatterometer pass indicated a trof axis. Absolutely nothing would indicate a track to the north or north-northeast (toward the northern Gulf Coast or Florida). This is trapped in the BoC and will move into southern Mexico as the strong jet to its north digs south Wed/Thu.
1 likes   

Landy
Category 1
Category 1

#46 Postby Landy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:07 pm

5 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:08 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:almost certainly a TD/TS now. Models showing a weak trough/low getting trapped. and deeper TS would have a good shot of lifting N/NNE.

A TS now? Based on what evidence of a well-defined LLC and 34 kt winds? The last scatterometer pass indicated a trof axis. Absolutely nothing would indicate a track to the north or north-northeast (toward the northern Gulf Coast or Florida). This is trapped in the BoC and will move into southern Mexico as the strong jet to its north digs south Wed/Thu.

No
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#48 Postby GCANE » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:09 pm

hipshot wrote:
Same with 500mb vort.

What is IoT?

Isthmus of Tehuantepec
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:09 pm

Latest SCAT pass also showing a MESO vort up n the deeper convection. likely reformation/getting pulled farther north into convection throughout today.
0 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby underthwx » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:09 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
Same with 500mb vort.

Low level steering will collapse which is why models eventually trap whatever weak system they have and loop it around. but mid and upper level steering would take this north then probably NNE if it were to get up to a strong TS>

Hi Aric, I'm just curious. You say this has potential to track Northward, or NNE, but everything I have read on NWS products being made available thru their discussions, and so forth, do not make mention of this as a possibility. Please understand me, I'm not challenging your posts, nor do I mean to be argumentative, i include myself among those who have a high regard for you, here on S2K, and elsewhere. I'm simply trying to understand. If I'm missing something, I stand to be corrected. Many thanks Aric, have a great day!...
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby boca » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:10 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

No

I thought a trough would always pull a storm N or NE I don’t understand south into Mexico.
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#52 Postby GCANE » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:11 pm

0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#53 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:13 pm

underthwx wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
Same with 500mb vort.

Hi Aric, I'm just curious. You say this has potential to track Northward, or NNE, but everything I have read on NWS products being made available thru their discussions, and so forth, do not make mention of this as a possibility. Please understand me, I'm not challenging your posts, nor do I mean to be argumentative, i include myself among those who have a high regard for you, here on S2K, and elsewhere. I'm simply trying to understand. If I'm missing something, I stand to be corrected. Many thanks Aric, have a great day!...

It has a small window to deepen in the next 24 hours to find an escape route before the steering at all levels would trap it. all the models keep it weak hence why all the official forecasts anywhere dont show it. but it is clearly further along than expected. also have to watch out for reformations which would possibly further open the door.
4 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#54 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:15 pm

boca wrote:I thought a trough would always pull a storm N or NE I don’t understand south into Mexico.

Not in this case. A ridge is building down into the northern Gulf by Thursday. The jet stream will dig farther south, all the way to the BoC. This will push whatever is left south into Mexico. The low may loop around a bit in the BoC before it moves inland, but it's not leaving the BoC.
3 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#55 Postby GCANE » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:16 pm

CAPE is increasing rapidly across the entire GoM
0 likes   

THC_Scientist
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#56 Postby THC_Scientist » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:17 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

No
Wxman57 is a master of his craft, I wouldn’t second guess him. This is clearly not a tropical cyclone nor will it be.
2 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#57 Postby underthwx » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:18 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
underthwx wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

It has a small window to deepen in the next 24 hours to find an escape route before the steering at all levels would trap it. all the models keep it weak hence why all the official forecasts anywhere dont show it. but it is clearly further along than expected. also have to watch out for reformations which would possibly further open the door.

Thankyou for clarifying Aric!....makes sense....and I too was surprised this morning when I looked at what has become 93L, on satellite...I appreciate your help...I'm always on a quest for understanding
Last edited by underthwx on Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#58 Postby GCANE » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:18 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
underthwx wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

If they tag this a TS, I would say this is one of the better model fails I have seen in some time.
5 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby tropicwatch » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:21 pm

HH is still at cruising altitude approximately 27,000ft. The flight level winds have been coming down the further south it goes. Would be nice to get a couple more readings at this altitude. Latest was 33kts.
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#60 Postby GCANE » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:38 pm

Looking at GFS 500mb run-to-run, it appears the steering trof lost its negative tilt and is moving a bit north.
0 likes   

Return to “2022”