ATL: IAN - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: NINE - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#521 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:08 am

This system must be absolutely ready to RI if it was not for the Northerly Wind Shear. But it's still producing very intense convection despite being somewhat displaced to the south to southwest.

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/39217846.gif
3 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

cane5
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: ATL: INVEST 98L - Discussion

#522 Postby cane5 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:11 am

rnj79 wrote:
Craters wrote:
LARanger wrote:
New one on me, and I'm iffy on whether it's "a thing", but now I want to see something similar for Louisiana.

Ask and you shall receive, LARanger:

[url]https://i.ibb.co/ryRX7gF/Cajun-boxes.jpg [/url]

(I think the US boundaries are a little bit off...)

As an "Hebert" living in SELA, this gave me a good chuckle. Thanks for the laugh! :lol:

BTW Andrew completely missed the boxes…
3 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#523 Postby Blown Away » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:11 am

kevin wrote:And so TD9 joins a small group of storms to have a 95 kt or higher value in their first forecast. Here are all the other storms from that list since the modern advisory archives started in 1998. Of the previous storms with such a forecast 6 of the 9 eventually became MHs. It also makes TD9 the most aggressive forecast (at least since 1998) which includes Florida in its first cone. I hope it won't be as bad as some models show, but this really shows the uniqueness of TD9. So if you're in the area that could be affected I'd highly encourage you to prepare today or tomorrow before the remaining millions of people also realize they have to prepare.

100 kt
Sam - 2021
Tomas - 2010

95 kt
TD9 - 2022
Ida - 2021
Iota - 2020
Lorenzo - 2019
Isaac - 2012
Danielle - 2010
Philippe - 2005
Karl - 2004

First thought when I saw 110 at day 5, unusual the NHC was so aggressive with first advisory. Great post!
4 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#524 Postby kevin » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:21 am

Tons of 40+ kt SFMR measurements in TD9 so it certanly qualifies as a TS in that regard. The question is whether it has a well-defined center & circulation which is deemed organized enough to upgrade it already.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#525 Postby cycloneye » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:21 am

kevin wrote:And so TD9 joins a small group of storms to have a 95 kt or higher value in their first forecast. Here are all the other storms from that list since the modern advisory archives started in 1998. Of the previous storms with such a forecast 6 of the 9 eventually became MHs. It also makes TD9 the most aggressive forecast (at least since 1998) which includes Florida in its first cone. I hope it won't be as bad as some models show, but this really shows the uniqueness of TD9. So if you're in the area that could be affected I'd highly encourage you to prepare today or tomorrow before the remaining millions of people also realize they have to prepare.

100 kt
Sam - 2021
Tomas - 2010

95 kt
TD9 - 2022
Ida - 2021
Iota - 2020
Lorenzo - 2019
Isaac - 2012
Danielle - 2010
Philippe - 2005
Karl - 2004

Excellent post that brings a perspective about this system that causes people to start preparations.
4 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#526 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:22 am

hiflyer wrote:
jlauderdal wrote:
ObsessedMiami wrote:Time to dust off the old login for this year

NWS Miami forecast calls for Tropical Storm conditions possible for Tuesday night

Should be an interesting weekend here in South Florida

TS winds knockout power where I live, the lines are overhead, roh roh. Filling the gas cans in the next hour, enough for 10 days, the new generator(inverter) sips gas while the old one made the gas companies some real money. I'm preparing for a major hurricane in SE Florida, hopefully, my preps are overkill.

Out here in Broward/Weston FPL has been working on the overhead main lines with improved towers as part of their multiyear hardening. Communities are all underground. Some models appear to soften onshore sw Fl to a 1 to low 2 on a NE trajectory. Publix then a refresh lube spray on the shutters over the weekend.

Our overhead lines did well in Irma and due to FPL's hardening plan, power restoration was inside of two days, wilma we were out for far longer. Have to prepare like we are going to take a direct hit. Gas, food, and water you can use later. Don't be one of those people in a huge time suck line.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#527 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:23 am

As expected TD 9 is still getting hit with shear this morning, but by this evening SHIPS forecasts shear to drop near 10 knots, it should start the strengthening phase by then.

5 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#528 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:35 am

kevin wrote:Tons of 40+ kt SFMR measurements in TD9 so it certanly qualifies as a TS in that regard. The question is whether it has a well-defined center & circulation which is deemed organized enough to upgrade it already.

That's not in question. It's already a TD, so if TS winds are found, they'll upgrade to TS Hermine.
4 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#529 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:46 am

VDM on TD 9 from AF306

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL092022
A. 23/11:02:30Z
B. 13.92 deg N 069.27 deg W
C. 925 mb 743 m
D. EXTRAP 1007 mb
E. NA
F. NA
G. NA
H. NA
I. NA
J. 112 deg 33 kt
K. 032 deg 108 nm 10:33:30Z
L. NA
M. NA
N. 264 deg 25 kt
O. 227 deg 27 nm 11:10:00Z
P. 20 C / 771 m
Q. 22 C / 764 m
R. 18 C / NA
S. 134 / 9
T. 0.02 / 7 nm
U. AF306 0209A CYCLONE OB 02
MAX FL WIND 33 KT 032 / 108 NM 10:33:30Z
SLP EXTRAP FROM 925 MB
MAX FL TEMP 23 C 018 / 41 NM FROM FL CNTR
VISUAL MAX SFC WINDS 30 KTS NE QUAD
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#530 Postby blp » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:59 am

jlauderdal wrote:
ObsessedMiami wrote:Time to dust off the old login for this year

NWS Miami forecast calls for Tropical Storm conditions possible for Tuesday night

Should be an interesting weekend here in South Florida

TS winds knockout power where I live, the lines are overhead, roh roh. Filling the gas cans in the next hour, enough for 10 days, the new generator(inverter) sips gas while the old one made the gas companies some real money. I'm preparing for a major hurricane in SE Florida, hopefully, my preps are overkill.

I am in the same boat overhead lines and lose power always. How many gallons you got stocked up? I still need to fill a few more cans today.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#531 Postby aspen » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:05 am

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
kevin wrote:Tons of 40+ kt SFMR measurements in TD9 so it certanly qualifies as a TS in that regard. The question is whether it has a well-defined center & circulation which is deemed organized enough to upgrade it already.

That's not in question. It's already a TD, so if TS winds are found, they'll upgrade to TS Hermine.

There are finally some TS flight level winds south of the center, displaced from the convection. Might be enough for an upgrade.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#532 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:06 am

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#533 Postby AJC3 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:06 am

AJC3 wrote:'The center hasn't even formed yet' talk is quickly on its way to becoming null and void from here on out. In fact, this morning's scatterometer data (13Z-14Z) and satellite derived winds showed a pretty well-defined surface-850MB vorticity center that should have gone into the initialization of the 18Z model guidance, and I suspect it will be at least as well-defined in the upcoming 00Z runs. How well the model guidance initializes it is another matter, however we're at the point now where we have a decent LL center fix to work with.

Welp, another related issue seems to have reared its head. Based on the the last few hours of 3.9UM IR and vis imagery, it appears that the erstwhile "well defined" center has degenerated into multiple smaller eddies, one of which you can see rotating northward in some of the post-sunrise vis imagery posted above by Mark. This is a product of the high shear displacing the convection (and thus the latent heat release) downshear of said LLC. IMO this would support the likelihood of one or more downshear center reformations today. We'll see if this comes to fruition.
5 likes   

caneman
Category 5
Category 5

#534 Postby caneman » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:09 am

AJC3 wrote:
AJC3 wrote:'The center hasn't even formed yet' talk is quickly on its way to becoming null and void from here on out. In fact, this morning's scatterometer data (13Z-14Z) and satellite derived winds showed a pretty well-defined surface-850MB vorticity center that should have gone into the initialization of the 18Z model guidance, and I suspect it will be at least as well-defined in the upcoming 00Z runs. How well the model guidance initializes it is another matter, however we're at the point now where we have a decent LL center fix to work with.

Welp, another related issue seems to have reared its head. Based on the the last few hours of 3.9UM IR and vis imagery, it appears that the erstwhile "well defined" center has degenerated into multiple smaller eddies, one of which you can see rotating northward in some of the post-sunrise vis imagery posted above by Mark. This is a product of the high shear displacing the convection (and thus the latent heat release) downshear of said LLC. IMO this would support the likelihood of one or more downshear center reformations today. We'll see if this comes to fruition.

And if this were to happen would that make it eject more quickly to the east or track further to west?
0 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#535 Postby AJC3 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:11 am

caneman wrote:
AJC3 wrote:

And if this were to happen would that make it eject more quickly to the east or track further to west?

In the short term, of course more westward. Probably in the longer term as well, but that depends more on the amplitude/position/orientation of the trough that's forecast to turn this N and NE. Still a long way to go to speculate too much on this.
2 likes   

TheHurricaneGod
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#536 Postby TheHurricaneGod » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:12 am

The center appears to be wobbling due NW the past few frames. This would have an impact on future track. More north wobbles and this ends up more of an east coast threat.
0 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#537 Postby otowntiger » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:37 am

AJC3 wrote:
caneman wrote:
AJC3 wrote:

In the short term, of course more westward. Probably in the longer term as well, but that depends more on the amplitude/position/orientation of the trough that's forecast to turn this N and NE. Still a long way to go to speculate too much on this.
sooo…. Westward shifts in modeling could be in the offing for later today?
0 likes   

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#538 Postby ColdMiser123 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:38 am

Recon found peak FL wind of 38 kt, as well as plenty of unflagged 40 kt SFMR. In the outer vortex this flight level wind converts to below TS intensity, so that might be what the NHC goes with since SFMR may run high here.
1 likes   
B.S., M.S., Meteorology & Atmospheric Science

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#539 Postby wxman57 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:49 am

Those 35-40kt SFMR all look suspect. Organization barely qualifies as a depression this morning (naked swirl moving away from the convection), but the NHC wanted to start advisories today. This isn't a TS. It's a poorly-organized depression, if that. Wait for the shear to drop off tomorrow afternoon. Back to my advisory. Striking near Ft. Myers Tuesday night as an 85kt hurricane (Cat 2). Watch out Carolinas, it may be stronger once it passes Florida.
12 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#540 Postby AJC3 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:54 am

This illustrates what I think is and will be occurring today. If you look at that eddy (yellow dot) on vis satellite, it's actually moving NNW. Because it's moving away from the deep convection, it's unlikely to survive. You'll also notice the overall circulation is becoming distorted/elongated E-W, with some tightening curvature near the orange dot. This appears to me as if it might be a new center trying to form via VHT and CISK. It may not form in that exact location, but I think it'll contribute to the vorticity pocket shifting or propagating downshear (westward) today. Whatever the case, don't look for any RI of this system in the immediate future.

10 likes   

Return to “2022”