Shower activity associated with a small area of low pressure located
roughly midway between the Cabo Verde Islands and the Lesser
Antilles is showing signs of organization. Although environmental
conditions are only marginally conducive, slow development is
expected and this system will likely become a tropical depression by
early next week while it moves westward across the tropical
Atlantic. Interests in the Lesser Antilles should monitor the
progress of this system.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent.
* Formation chance through 7 days...high...70 percent.

1 likes   
Personal forecast disclaimer
This post is a personal point of view, not an information. Please refer to official statements for life-threatening decisions.

David '79, Frederic '79, Hugo '89, Iris, Luis & Marilyn '95, Georges '98, Lenny '99, Dean '07, Irma '17, Maria '17, Fiona '22, Philippe '23, Tammy '23
16°13'33.3,"6N -61°36'39.5"W

REDHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: ATL: INVEST 95L - Discussion- Code Red 70%

#102 Postby REDHurricane » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:35 am

chaser1 wrote: I believe that the culprit of greatest influence is a massive easterly surge approaching from the east and northeast.

Yep, looks like it

0 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#103 Postby Sciencerocks » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:01 am

2 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#104 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:31 am

8 AM TWO:

Central Tropical Atlantic (AL95):
Antilles continues to show signs of organization. Although
environmental conditions are only marginally conducive, some
additional gradual development is anticipated and this system will
likely become a tropical depression by early next week while it
moves westward across the tropical Atlantic. Interests in the
Lesser Antilles should monitor the progress of this system.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent.
* Formation chance through 7 days...high...70 percent.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#105 Postby wxman57 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:19 am

Doesn't look impressive at all this morning. Weak swirl east of limited convection. Model support is dwindling. Looking more like it won't make it to TD.
5 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#106 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:57 am

Is doing the small dip that the models have. From 12.4N at 06Z to 12.1N at 12z.

AL, 95, 2023072212, , BEST, 0, 121N, 417W, 25, 1012, LO

https://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/atcf/btk/bal952023.dat
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#107 Postby underthwx » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:07 am

wxman57 wrote:Doesn't look impressive at all this morning. Weak swirl east of limited convection. Model support is dwindling. Looking more like it won't make it to TD.

Sure looks tiny out there over the ocean...is the system being inhibited by dust from the Sahara?
0 likes   

REDHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#108 Postby REDHurricane » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:17 am

underthwx wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Doesn't look impressive at all this morning. Weak swirl east of limited convection. Model support is dwindling. Looking more like it won't make it to TD.

Sure looks tiny out there over the ocean...is the system being inhibited by dust from the Sahara?

Guessing it's likely some combination of the Saharan air layer and stronger than expected easterly wind shear
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#109 Postby wxman57 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:47 am

underthwx wrote:

The dry air isn't helping. Can't rule out a very small TS but that's looking less likely this morning.
2 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#110 Postby abajan » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:54 am

wxman57 wrote:
underthwx wrote:

The dry air isn't helping. Can't rule out a very small TS but that's looking less likely this morning.

Looks like Mr. Weatherman (Meteorologist Brian Shields) is pretty much on the same wavelength as you. Great minds... 8-)

Link: https://youtu.be/3gh2WTdiN4Q
1 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#111 Postby USTropics » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:11 am

Limited convection is a direct result of the background environment. We can see on the GFS 700-300mb RH analysis the obstacles 95L has to overcome. This causes multiple issues in the convective processes as (1) the system has to expend convective resources to battle against this background environment, (2) it limits convective expansion of the system (via degraded uplift in absent of a moist environment), and (3) it restricts inflow and outflow channels to the north and northwest:

Looking at the GFS sounding for 95L, while there isn't excessive shear, there is a change in steering regime starting at the mid-levels which is likely causing the displacement:

One other thing to note, as far as the SW dip, notice the orientation of the ridging here at the lower-levels (roughly highlighted in blue) and where the strongest steering influences are currently being felt with a weak/disorganized system. Don is making its second traverse over the top of an expanding subtropical high pressure area (track highlighted in pink), and this will again influence the orientation of the ridge:

The models haven't exactly handled the strength of Don particularly well, and you can see even at 24 hours Don has just enough of an influence on the SW periphery of the ridge to force 95L to dip southwest (where a center relocation would also be more expected given convective parameters):

With that said, the environment up until the Caribbean is marginally conducive for development. Once the system enters the eastern Caribbean, and with Don now out of the picture, high pressure begins to dominate the subtropical Atlantic:

This causes increased easterly flow in the Caribbean:

One last side note, there have been mentions on Twitter that this shear is related to El Nino; we would expect westerly wind shear (not easterly) if this was a result of El Nino (which typically occurs when the subtropical jet becomes amplified, which we haven't seen). This is your typical Caribbean/increased trades shear during July/early August.
16 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#112 Postby gatorcane » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:22 am

USTropics wrote:Limited convection is a direct result of the background environment. We can see on the GFS 700-300mb RH analysis the obstacles 95L has to overcome. This causes multiple issues in the convective processes as (1) the system has to expend convective resources to battle against this background environment, (2) it limits convective expansion of the system (via degraded uplift in absent of a moist environment), and (3) it restricts inflow and outflow channels to the north and northwest:
https://i.imgur.com/VhKLfez.png

Looking at the GFS sounding for 95L, while there isn't excessive shear, there is a change in steering regime starting at the mid-levels which is likely causing the displacement:
https://i.imgur.com/ZAa65e2.png

One other thing to note, as far as the SW dip, notice the orientation of the ridging here at the lower-levels (roughly highlighted in blue) and where the strongest steering influences are currently being felt with a weak/disorganized system. Don is making its second traverse over the top of an expanding subtropical high pressure area (track highlighted in pink), and this will again influence the orientation of the ridge:
https://i.imgur.com/g1UX0Hs.png

The models haven't exactly handled the strength of Don particularly well, and you can see even at 24 hours Don has just enough of an influence on the SW periphery of the ridge to force 95L to dip southwest (where a center relocation would also be more expected given convective parameters):
https://i.imgur.com/DBqB7py.png

With that said, the environment up until the Caribbean is marginally conducive for development. Once the system enters the eastern Caribbean, and with Don now out of the picture, high pressure begins to dominate the subtropical Atlantic:
https://i.imgur.com/7JueMxz.png

https://i.imgur.com/mDmfnXe.png

One last side note, there have been mentions on Twitter that this shear is related to El Nino; we would expect westerly wind shear (not easterly) if this was a result of El Nino (which typically occurs when the subtropical jet becomes amplified, which we haven't seen). This is your typical Caribbean/increased trades shear during July/early August.

Thanks I really enjoy your posts and detailed analysis.

95l is really struggling this morning as posters have noted. It is not just dry air but some shear as well:

0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#113 Postby Teban54 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:31 am

gatorcane wrote:
USTropics wrote:Limited convection is a direct result of the background environment. We can see on the GFS 700-300mb RH analysis the obstacles 95L has to overcome. This causes multiple issues in the convective processes as (1) the system has to expend convective resources to battle against this background environment, (2) it limits convective expansion of the system (via degraded uplift in absent of a moist environment), and (3) it restricts inflow and outflow channels to the north and northwest:
https://i.imgur.com/VhKLfez.png

https://i.imgur.com/ZAa65e2.png

https://i.imgur.com/g1UX0Hs.png

https://i.imgur.com/DBqB7py.png

https://i.imgur.com/7JueMxz.png

https://i.imgur.com/mDmfnXe.png

Thanks I really enjoy your posts and detailed analysis.

95l is really struggling this morning as posters have noted. It is not just dry air but some shear as well:

https://i.postimg.cc/dVXX1b5V/goes16-vis-swir-95-L-202307221145.gif

Looks like the LLC is being pulled towards the convection.
0 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#114 Postby Sciencerocks » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:28 am

1 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#115 Postby underthwx » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:41 am

abajan wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
underthwx wrote:

Looks like Mr. Weatherman (Meteorologist Brian Shields) is pretty much on the same wavelength as you. Great minds... 8-)

https://youtu.be/3gh2WTdiN4Q

I haven't read about 95L, my apologies if my question had an obvious answer already posted here Abajan
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#116 Postby abajan » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:12 pm

underthwx wrote:
abajan wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

https://youtu.be/3gh2WTdiN4Q

I haven't read about 95L, my apologies if my question had an obvious answer already posted here Abajan

No need to apologize, as my comment wasn't really referring to what you posted but to wxman57's (not that I had intentionally ignored what you stated).
1 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#117 Postby Teban54 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:15 pm

0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#118 Postby Blown Away » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:24 pm

If model support continues to drop, thinking NHC going to lower odds soon.
1 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#119 Postby abajan » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:25 pm

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#120 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:27 pm

Blown Away wrote:If model support continues to drop, thinking NHC going to lower odds soon.

Bingo.

Central Tropical Atlantic (AL95):
Antilles has become a little less organized since yesterday.
Environmental conditions are forecast to remain marginally conducive
for some gradual development, and this system could become a
tropical depression early next week while it moves westward across
the tropical Atlantic. Interests in the Lesser Antilles should
monitor the progress of this system.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...40 percent.
* Formation chance through 7 days...medium...60 percent.
2 likes   

Return to “2023”