Central Atlantic Tropical Wave (Is Invest 91L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Strong Wave to Emerge from Africa today: latest EPS active near CONUS/Bahamas

#81 Postby toad strangler » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:07 pm

AnnularCane wrote:That's better. It looked incomplete without the X. :wink:

lol that's the problem I had too
2 likes   

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Tropical Wave off the African Coast

#82 Postby eastcoastFL » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:13 am

Looks like a couple of models develop this in a few days. Could get interesting
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#83 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:14 am

A westward-moving tropical wave located over the far eastern
tropical Atlantic, a couple of hundred miles east of the Cabo Verde
Islands, continues to produce disorganized shower activity.
Although environmental conditions are not expected to be conducive
for development during the next couple of days, they are forecast
to gradually become more favorable over the weekend and into early
next week when the wave moves into the central tropical Atlantic.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#84 Postby jlauderdal » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:26 am

eastcoastFL wrote:Looks like a couple of models develop this in a few days. Could get interesting
This should be the last with a chance to make it all the way....already a healthy trough next week in the West which I will be experiencing up close and personal in the mountains.
1 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#85 Postby toad strangler » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:52 am

jlauderdal wrote:
eastcoastFL wrote:Looks like a couple of models develop this in a few days. Could get interesting
This should be the last with a chance to make it all the way....already a healthy trough next week in the West which I will be experiencing up close and personal in the mountains.

Last chance?
1 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#86 Postby jlauderdal » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:55 am

toad strangler wrote:
jlauderdal wrote:

Last chance?
yes, I believe this is the last of the cape verde systems to make it all the way across, maybe the islands
0 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#87 Postby sma10 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:32 am

jlauderdal wrote:
toad strangler wrote:
jlauderdal wrote:This should be the last with a chance to make it all the way....already a healthy trough next week in the West which I will be experiencing up close and personal in the mountains.

Last chance?
yes, I believe this is the last of the cape verde systems to make it all the way across, maybe the islands

This is highly suspect. Especially with the tendency for late development, I think we are closer to the middle than the end.
5 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#88 Postby toad strangler » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:46 am

sma10 wrote:
jlauderdal wrote:
toad strangler wrote:
Last chance?

This is highly suspect. Especially with the tendency for late development, I think we are closer to the middle than the end.

Agree. CV season just got started and long range 500mb maps(which can be highly suspect themselves) say it's a bridge too far as well. If it was one month from now I'd believe it much more.
1 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#89 Postby Blown Away » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:54 am

00z EURO shows some development.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby USTropics » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:14 am

Here is a break down for each month for CV season:

August

September

October

Very active wave train:
4 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#91 Postby sma10 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:48 am

It would really be awesome if the GFS and EURO were sharp on genesis this year. But they have been a 0/10 - terrible.

It seems ridiculous, but the evidence is there that ICON and CMC has been more dependable in sniffing out development this season.
4 likes   

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#92 Postby Jr0d » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:42 am

jlauderdal wrote:
toad strangler wrote:
jlauderdal wrote:This should be the last with a chance to make it all the way....already a healthy trough next week in the West which I will be experiencing up close and personal in the mountains.

Last chance?

It is not even September yet...i think it is a bit premature to say after one trough being forecast that the Cape Verde long trackers season is over.
7 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#93 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:04 pm

The 12z GFS doesn’t do anything with this wave until it’s south of Florida at 80°W. Don’t know why the NHC gave it a yellow lemon? Maybe they’re beginning to doubt the global models like we are? :lol:
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#94 Postby Jr0d » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:21 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:The 12z GFS doesn’t do anything with this wave until it’s south of Florida at 80°W. Don’t know why the NHC gave it a yellow lemon? Maybe they’re beginning to doubt the global models like we are? :lol:

Both the GFS and EURO take it near Florida as a wave....while they have failed at detecting genesis and intensity, the Euro has done decent track wise. Something we may need to watch next week.
0 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#95 Postby otowntiger » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:33 pm

gatorcane wrote:Here is what the 18Z Aug 19th GFS run showed for today’s forecast (7 days out): :eek:

https://i.postimg.cc/fbzS3Qjx/gfs-z850-vort-atl-26.png
Yeah that set up could be problematic, but of note is that there are no systems shown to worry about. So the set up isn't really problematic if there are no storms to be steered by it. Of course I know its all subject to change and there could be some waves to watch, but by the same token the set up could be different as well with the usual troughs and retreating ridge allowing for the proverbial 'escape hatch'. :wink:
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#96 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:58 pm

otowntiger wrote:
gatorcane wrote:Here is what the 18Z Aug 19th GFS run showed for today’s forecast (7 days out): :eek:

Yeah that set up could be problematic, but of note is that there are no systems shown to worry about. So the set up isn't really problematic if there are no storms to be steered by it. Of course I know its all subject to change and there could be some waves to watch, but by the same token the set up could be different as well with the usual troughs and retreating ridge allowing for the proverbial 'escape hatch'. :wink:

But do you really think there will be no systems to watch going into the heart of the season? Doubtful. Have you seen the CMC, UKMET, and ICON who have blown away the GFS/Euro at detecting genesis this year?
2 likes   

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#97 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:02 pm

otowntiger wrote:

you missed the point of the post. that picture he posted was the august 19th gfs forecast for the day laura made landfall. notice how there's not a hint of a storm just 7 days out.

this is why you do not take models for gospel when it comes to TC genesis.
4 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#98 Postby SFLcane » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:06 pm

0 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#99 Postby sma10 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:23 pm

So we just saw two storms in the Gulf. Is it possible next week we'll see a storm in the Caribbean and NE Leewards simultaneously?

I would think NO ... but ... ?
0 likes   

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#100 Postby SconnieCane » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:32 pm

:larrow: With that setup verbatim it probably misses the Leewards to the north and tries to go OTS, but that ridging over the Northeast/Atlantic Canada could be problematic.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”