2020 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2020 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

#1321 Postby gatorcane » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:09 pm

Zilch on the GFS rest of month in the Atlantic. As some of said shows even more in the EPAC, at least a few more storms that spin up:

2 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#1322 Postby stormlover2013 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:13 pm

gatorcane wrote:Zilch on the GFS rest of month in the Atlantic. As some of said shows even more in the EPAC, at least a few more storms that spin up:

https://i.postimg.cc/kg8yG5zx/gfs-mslpa-Norm-epac-41.png

Gfs sucks
4 likes   

BYG Jacob
Category 3
Category 3

#1323 Postby BYG Jacob » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:25 pm

gatorcane wrote:Zilch on the GFS rest of month in the Atlantic. As some of said shows even more in the EPAC, at least a few more storms that spin up:

This is blatant cherry picking. You are also ignoring the very well known flaws of the GFS
7 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1324 Postby Hammy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:27 pm

stormlover2013 wrote:

Gfs sucks

Neither the Euro or GFS showed any storms, or even low pressures, in their 120 hour forecast for today.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#1326 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:29 pm

Hammy wrote:
stormlover2013 wrote:

Gfs sucks

Neither the Euro or GFS showed any storms, or even low pressures, in their 120 hour forecast for today.

The models haven’t been exactly stellar when it comes to cyclogenesis until there’s actually something there this year
8 likes   

KAlexPR
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1327 Postby KAlexPR » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:34 pm

Hammy wrote:
stormlover2013 wrote:

Gfs sucks

The models have clearly struggled with the transition to upward motion in the Atlantic, as every factor laid out by the experts points to a very active peak. Said experts have pointed out flaws in modeling and advice caution when interpreting them to avoid cherry picking a desired outcome. To add, models often struggle to detect TC outbreaks more than 2-3 days out, which is exactly what occurred in August 2017 when the season was cancelled countless times.
Last edited by KAlexPR on Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   

TheDreamTraveler
Category 2
Category 2

#1328 Postby TheDreamTraveler » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:34 pm

How many models showed Kyle forming? Not only that we have 2 storms in the atlantic during an unfavorable time before August 15th, still breaking record territory with naming. Looking at the models and assuming no storms are going to spin up isn't wise considering things will become more favorable and it'll be the heart of the season in a few weeks.
4 likes   

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#1329 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:36 pm

Hurricaneman wrote:
Hammy wrote:
stormlover2013 wrote:

Gfs sucks

The models haven’t been exactly stellar when it comes to cyclogenesis until there’s actually something there this year

Yeah I've noticed that this year, definitely, especially the GFS. Not sure why people are banking on it so much considering how poorly it has done this year regarding cyclogenesis. In several situations it has had to play catch-up in extreme fashion; perhaps the worst examples of this being Hanna and Douglas. Take a look at this. Just awful.

Don't have a full GIF for Douglas but this is what it had early on. Just one measly closed isobar when in reality it eventually became a cat 4 east of the Hawaiian islands.

It also took forever to finally latch on to developing Isaias, but I don't have a GIF for that unfortunately. Bottom line is that the GFS has been far from reliable this season. Honestly I would chalk it up to lack of observational aircraft data but none of the other models seem to be struggling this much. Could be something with the FV3 core? Not entirely sure, but if that's the case, I would expect NOAA to take a good long look at the upgrade in the offseason, especially if it continues to bungle cyclogensis detection like this for the remainder of the season - could be dangerous.
Last edited by DorkyMcDorkface on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
14 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1330 Postby gatorcane » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:37 pm

BYG Jacob wrote:

This is blatant cherry picking. You are also ignoring the very well known flaws of the GFS

I am just posting model runs and making observations which is what this thread if for. The Euro has zilch also the next 10 days with lower pressures in the EPAC and over CA:

3 likes   

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#1331 Postby StruThiO » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:41 pm

DorkyMcDorkface wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:
Hammy wrote:

Yeah I've noticed that this year, definitely, especially the GFS. Not sure why people are banking on it so much considering how poorly it has done this year regarding cyclogenesis. In several situations it has had to play catch-up in extreme fashion; perhaps the worst example of this being Hanna. Take a look at this. Just awful.

https://i.ibb.co/MSCM7z7/gfs-mslp-pcpn-watl-fh6-trend-1.gif

It also took forever to finally latch on to developing Isaias, but I don't have a GIF for that unfortunately. Bottom line is that the GFS has been far from reliable this season. Honestly I would chalk it up to lack of observational aircraft data but none of the other models seem to be struggling this much. Could be something with the FV3 core? Not entirely sure, but if that's the case, I would expect NOAA to take a good long look at the upgrade in the offseason, especially if it continues to bungle cyclogensis detection like this for the remainder of the season - could be dangerous.

Oooh fun! Let's do the King next.

Oh, look. Garbage.
4 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1332 Postby TheProfessor » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:03 pm

Yes this is the models thread, but we should also be using the models correctly. In that case you should never use run to run deterministic models to try to decipher a pattern 10+ days out. There's just too much uncertainty and lack of skill that far out to take anything as gospel. What you should use are probabilistic models(Ensembles) as a guide to see how the extended range pattern looks. And when you do look at these models you'll see that the EPS, Para-GEFS, and GEPS all show an uptick in activity over the next couple of weeks. That's what we should be watching.
20 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1333 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:22 pm

PLEASE READ

Any more personal attacks, repeating posts, or snark at other members will result in a board warning and or suspension.

This board is a supposed to be a friendly place to discuss tropical weather and we've let it stray too far from that objective. I think each of you is smart enough to recognize when you cross the line, so don't. There is a report button and if you believe a post violates S2K rules then use it, and do not reply.
15 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1334 Postby Hammy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:07 pm

TheDreamTraveler wrote:How many models showed Kyle forming? Not only that we have 2 storms in the atlantic during an unfavorable time before August 15th, still breaking record territory with naming. Looking at the models and assuming no storms are going to spin up isn't wise considering things will become more favorable and it'll be the heart of the season in a few weeks.

GFS didn't even have so much as a low pressure, or even defined trough of any sort, 72 hours ago. I was going to post this with my earlier post, but of course got sidetracked and never uploaded it, but the GFS/Euro today, and how the forecast from five days ago showed things.

7 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

crownweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1335 Postby crownweather » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:17 pm

Use the deterministic models with EXTREME caution. They haven't done so well this season w/ picking up storms ahead of time.

The ensembles may be the way to go with at least picking out the increase in activity. Both GEPS (Canadian) and GEFS-PARA (GFS ensemble parallel) are pretty consistent in showing a pretty substantial uptick in activity VERY soon.

3 likes   
Rob Lightbown
Crown Weather Services
https://crownweather.com

tiger_deF
Category 1
Category 1

#1336 Postby tiger_deF » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:24 pm

Ironic that despite the models showing a massive EPAC outbreak and an Atlantic lull, there are currently 2 named storms in the Atlantic and not a single one in the Pacific
13 likes   

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#1337 Postby eastcoastFL » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:28 pm

DorkyMcDorkface wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:
Hammy wrote:

Yeah I've noticed that this year, definitely, especially the GFS. Not sure why people are banking on it so much considering how poorly it has done this year regarding cyclogenesis. In several situations it has had to play catch-up in extreme fashion; perhaps the worst examples of this being Hanna and Douglas. Take a look at this. Just awful.

Don't have a full GIF for Douglas but this is what it had early on. Just one measly closed isobar when in reality it eventually became a cat 4 east of the Hawaiian islands.
https://i.ibb.co/XZJYVMx/gfs-mslp-pcpn-cpac-24.png

Is that real? The gfs developed a hurricane over Texas?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1338 Postby Hammy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:33 pm

eastcoastFL wrote:
DorkyMcDorkface wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:The models haven’t been exactly stellar when it comes to cyclogenesis until there’s actually something there this year

https://i.ibb.co/XZJYVMx/gfs-mslp-pcpn-cpac-24.png

Is that real? The gfs developed a hurricane over Texas?

It's the model trend--each frame is closer to the same date, and essentially shows that the farther out you went, the less the GFS had there (and about three days or so out only showed showers moving onshore)
3 likes   

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1339 Postby MississippiWx » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:46 pm

tiger_deF wrote:Ironic that despite the models showing a massive EPAC outbreak and an Atlantic lull, there are currently 2 named storms in the Atlantic and not a single one in the Pacific

I don’t know how to emphasize this more. The important factor to note is these storms keep forming despite less than ideal conditions. Those conditions change to very favorable in a week or two...for a while.

I’d be very interested to know why models continue to struggle with TC genesis so much in the Atlantic this year. Maybe some smart person will eventually figure it out.
6 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#1340 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:03 pm

MississippiWx wrote:
tiger_deF wrote:Ironic that despite the models showing a massive EPAC outbreak and an Atlantic lull, there are currently 2 named storms in the Atlantic and not a single one in the Pacific

I don’t know how to emphasize this more. The important factor to note is these storms keep forming despite less than ideal conditions. Those conditions change to very favorable in a week or two...for a while.

I’d be very interested to know why models continue to struggle with TC genesis so much in the Atlantic this year. Maybe some smart person will eventually figure it out.

i don't know the technicalities of this, but it is clear that the models are underestimating the atlantic's background state and doing the opposite for the epac.

the models are each basin like like it is 2014 or 15 it seems.
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”