Tropical Wave in the SE GOMEX (Is Invest 91L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Possible Development in the GOMEX by the middle of next week

#61 Postby Jr0d » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:52 am

Convection has increased associated with the wave that will make it into the gulf this weekend, currently north of Hispaniola.

We ended up getting a severe storm in Key West last Saturday from a tropical disturbance. This one already look healthier than the one from last weak. It will soon reach the hot waters in the Bahamas and Florida Straits with improving conditions for development.

I would not be surprised if a low closes off near Florida Keys this weekend. It is interesting the GFS does not do much with this, it basically evaporates when it gets to Texas while the Euro and CMC show significant development.
1 likes   

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#62 Postby Wampadawg » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:55 am

:D oh these home grown storms are so frustrating, models
Can’t agree? So many factors,NHC beginning to increase odds,I guess all we can do here on the Gulf Coast is be prepared and do our rain rituals and stay tuned
2 likes   
Harvey,Hanna,Beta,Texas Winter storm2021,Nicholas

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#63 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:15 am

This is the northern part of the tropical wave that will enter the GOM by the weekend.

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Ianswfl
Category 1
Category 1

#64 Postby Ianswfl » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:27 am

Jr0d wrote:Convection has increased associated with the wave that will make it into the gulf this weekend, currently north of Hispaniola.

We ended up getting a severe storm in Key West last Saturday from a tropical disturbance. This one already look healthier than the one from last weak. It will soon reach the hot waters in the Bahamas and Florida Straits with improving conditions for development.

I would not be surprised if a low closes off near Florida Keys this weekend. It is interesting the GFS does not do much with this, it basically evaporates when it gets to Texas while the Euro and CMC show significant development.

You think it could be a ts before Florida?
0 likes   

galvestontx
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#65 Postby galvestontx » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:59 am

I’m soooooo glad I booked a vacation for the 21-25 in Port Aransas. $1400 for the house and $700 for the golf cart 4 day rental. We will just have to make the best of it. Hopefully they don’t shut down the ferries Monday before we can get on the island. Yay
1 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#66 Postby jasons2k » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:07 am

galvestontx wrote:I’m soooooo glad I booked a vacation for the 21-25 in Port Aransas. $1400 for the house and $700 for the golf cart 4 day rental. We will just have to make the best of it. Hopefully they don’t shut down the ferries Monday before we can get on the island. Yay

You can go down to I-37 and cut across Corpus to South Padre and come back north to Port A. to avoid the ferry. Sometimes we prefer that route when the ferry wait is long.

Next week could get interesting for sure.
2 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#67 Postby LarryWx » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:37 am

Still no GOM TC on UKMET
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

jabman98
Category 1
Category 1

#68 Postby jabman98 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:39 am

jasons2k wrote:Here is an update from local met Jeff Lindner with details about the gulf system:
Conditions appear to become most favorable just prior to landfall along the Texas coast and development if any may be very near the coast just prior to landfall, in part due to the board nature of the wave interacting with the concave curvature of the Texas coast.

That part always makes me nervous. The development before landing. People think it's going to be a rain event and it turns out it's a wind event instead or in addition. I know, everyone should be prepared, etc. Many often aren't and get caught off guard.
2 likes   

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#69 Postby Wampadawg » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:05 pm

jabman98 wrote:
jasons2k wrote:Here is an update from local met Jeff Lindner with details about the gulf system:
Conditions appear to become most favorable just prior to landfall along the Texas coast and development if any may be very near the coast just prior to landfall, in part due to the board nature of the wave interacting with the concave curvature of the Texas coast.

That part always makes me nervous. The development before landing. People think it's going to be a rain event and it turns out it's a wind event instead or in addition. I know, everyone should be prepared, etc. Many often aren't and get caught off guard.

Agreed wonder what Wxman thinks about it all?
0 likes   

Stratton23
Category 2
Category 2

#70 Postby Stratton23 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:28 pm

Interesting to see the GFS CMC both develop the southern part of the wave while the euro develops the north part, most of the convection looks to be favoring the the north end right now, I think the GFS and CMC will cave in to the euro solution, im going with the euro guidance and seeing a middle texas landfall
0 likes   

jaguars_22
Category 1
Category 1

#71 Postby jaguars_22 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:33 pm

The models mostly show an open wave making landfall. CMC develops the southern end of the trough because I see a swirl next to the convection currently that looks like it’s pushing the clouds south… maybe this is why the cmc sees that… models don’t show anything to worry about
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:46 pm

jaguars_22 wrote:The models mostly show an open wave making landfall. CMC develops the southern end of the trough because I see a swirl next to the convection currently that looks like it’s pushing the clouds south… maybe this is why the cmc sees that… models don’t show anything to worry about

Nope. I’m not really expecting much to come from this at the moment.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#73 Postby wxman57 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:06 pm

What do I think? I'm pulling for the ECMWF's track into the upper TX coast vs. lower coast. I'm not concerned about any wind issues across Texas. If there are some squalls with TS wind, they'll remain offshore. All it would take for the NHC to call it a TS is a barely discernible LLC and a gust to 35 kts in a squall. In reality, this system could only be beneficial for the VERY dry Texas. We could use a slow moving disturbance here. The disturbance will be battling dry air (all around it now) and increasing wind shear as it moves across the Gulf. I don't expect any rapid development in the Gulf. The low may not close off until it's moving into the Texas coast, if then.
5 likes   

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#74 Postby Wampadawg » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:08 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
jaguars_22 wrote:The models mostly show an open wave making landfall. CMC develops the southern end of the trough because I see a swirl next to the convection currently that looks like it’s pushing the clouds south… maybe this is why the cmc sees that… models don’t show anything to worry about

Nope. I’m not really expecting much to come from this at the moment.

Well we know the models struggle with these Homegrown,the next few days will be the clarity one way or another.Be interesting what the next Euro shows
1 likes   

Stratton23
Category 2
Category 2

#75 Postby Stratton23 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:31 pm

We need this to become at least a depression maybe a tropical storm, an open wave wont do jack for the texas coast
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#76 Postby wxman57 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:44 pm

Stratton23 wrote:We need this to become at least a depression maybe a tropical storm, an open wave wont do jack for the texas coast

No difference between a wave, a TD, or weak TS in terms of rainfall. Open waves can produce a lot of rain. This one, unfortunately, may move too quickly and not drop nearly enough rain.
3 likes   

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#77 Postby Jr0d » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:08 pm

Ianswfl wrote:
You think it could be a ts before Florida?

No. Not impossible but unlikely.

Maybe low closes off over the Keys, but at best it would be developing depression. It seems like it will slow down sometime tomorrow also. It is also possible convection will start firing south of Cuba and that might be where the low closes off.

I expect we will be getting a 48 hour lemon by tomorrow.
1 likes   

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#78 Postby Wampadawg » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:21 pm

New Euro saying to other models I am in and I will raise ya”all
0 likes   

jaguars_22
Category 1
Category 1

#79 Postby jaguars_22 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:27 pm

The euro looks good now but I don’t like how it’s shifting south like the cmc… the euro ensembles moved down the coast since last run. I am also seeing a few stronger members getting as low as 971mb…
1 likes   

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#80 Postby Wampadawg » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:31 pm

jaguars_22 wrote:The euro looks good now but I don’t like how it’s shifting south like the cmc… the euro ensembles moved down the coast since last run. I am also seeing a few stronger members getting as low as 971mb…

All we have is hope Brother anything would be a break from this non stop heat and drought!
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”