2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#981 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:31 am

That Euro forecast gave me the chills
3 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#982 Postby skyline385 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:47 am

1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#983 Postby SFLcane » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:55 am

1 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#984 Postby aspen » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:26 am

Quite a bit of skepticism on wx Twitter today, which I mostly agree with. It will be very difficult to get a season with 1995/2004/2017-level ACE unless the MDR warms up like crazy and STAYS warm. Every time the MDR warms, the trades return and it cools off again. The only SSTA configuration that has stuck around is that subtropical warm pool, which isn’t conductive for an active season. They mentioned that the UKMET and NMME will update in the next week, so that’ll be interesting to see if they also go overboard or yield estimates that conflict with the Euro.

After the last two seasons during this multi-year La Niña streak, I have a hard time believing that this year will finally be a higher-quality year like 2004/2010/2017. 2020 had a ton of late-season hurricanes and majors but a very lackluster MDR despite near-record SSTAs; 2021 did generate two 30+ ACE MDR majors, but had an even greater percentage of shorties than 2020 and a nearly dead ON. Factors that seemed to be favorable before ASO (2020’s WAM/ASW on overdrive and 2021’s Atlantic Niño) turned out to have limiting side-effects, like all the AEWs in 2020 being so large and coming off so far north that most struggled in the MDR, or 2021’s Atlantic Niño pushing the ITCZ so far south in ON that every AEW ran into South America. Perhaps a factor in the 2022 season will be a double-edged sword when it comes to activity too. But there’s also a moderate possibility I’ll be eating my words by the time September rolls around.
4 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#985 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:40 pm

aspen wrote:

Quite a bit of skepticism on wx Twitter today, which I mostly agree with. It will be very difficult to get a season with 1995/2004/2017-level ACE unless the MDR warms up like crazy and STAYS warm. Every time the MDR warms, the trades return and it cools off again. The only SSTA configuration that has stuck around is that subtropical warm pool, which isn’t conductive for an active season. They mentioned that the UKMET and NMME will update in the next week, so that’ll be interesting to see if they also go overboard or yield estimates that conflict with the Euro.

After the last two seasons during this multi-year La Niña streak, I have a hard time believing that this year will finally be a higher-quality year like 2004/2010/2017. 2020 had a ton of late-season hurricanes and majors but a very lackluster MDR despite near-record SSTAs; 2021 did generate two 30+ ACE MDR majors, but had an even greater percentage of shorties than 2020 and a nearly dead ON. Factors that seemed to be favorable before ASO (2020’s WAM/ASW on overdrive and 2021’s Atlantic Niño) turned out to have limiting side-effects, like all the AEWs in 2020 being so large and coming off so far north that most struggled in the MDR, or 2021’s Atlantic Niño pushing the ITCZ so far south in ON that every AEW ran into South America. Perhaps a factor in the 2022 season will be a double-edged sword when it comes to activity too. But there’s also a moderate possibility I’ll be eating my words by the time September rolls around.

The million dollar question is what that mystery factor would be. Although, what we can say for sure are that no two hurricane seasons are carbon copies of each other, and one of the most reliable predictors for overall activity (that being the -ENSO state) suggests that ENSO related shear should not be an issue during the season (especially considering it's already firmly entrenched and in a third year state).
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#986 Postby aspen » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:52 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
aspen wrote:

The million dollar question is what that mystery factor would be. Although, what we can say for sure are that no two hurricane seasons are carbon copies of each other, and one of the most reliable predictors for overall activity (that being the -ENSO state) suggests that ENSO related shear should not be an issue during the season (especially considering it's already firmly entrenched and in a third year state).

Maybe yet another unexpected peak season TUTT, either typhoon-pumped or not. I think a TUTT was also partly responsible for 2021’s pathetic late season.

Alternatively, since third year Ninas are so rare, maybe there’s some poorly understood atmospheric effect that’ll impact this year’s hurricane season, either limiting or enhancing it. Remember, none of the previous third year Nina seasons of the satellite era were hyperactive. There might be a shared reason as to why that’ll pop up this year. Or it’s a consequence of a small sample size.
Last edited by aspen on Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#987 Postby skyline385 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:52 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
aspen wrote:

ENSO state and its effect is not static though, if it begins the transition towards ENSO neutral or simply starts warming a bit, it could slow down activity and considering that we are in a third year Nino, there is a very real chance of it even if the ensemble members are split on the transition.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#988 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:08 pm

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#989 Postby skyline385 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:22 pm

That August plot would mean rip SFL shield :lol:
Last edited by skyline385 on Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#990 Postby AlphaToOmega » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:28 pm

aspen wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:
aspen wrote:Quite a bit of skepticism on wx Twitter today, which I mostly agree with. It will be very difficult to get a season with 1995/2004/2017-level ACE unless the MDR warms up like crazy and STAYS warm. Every time the MDR warms, the trades return and it cools off again. The only SSTA configuration that has stuck around is that subtropical warm pool, which isn’t conductive for an active season. They mentioned that the UKMET and NMME will update in the next week, so that’ll be interesting to see if they also go overboard or yield estimates that conflict with the Euro.

Maybe yet another unexpected peak season TUTT, either typhoon-pumped or not. I think a TUTT was also partly responsible for 2021’s pathetic late season.

Alternatively, since third year Ninas are so rare, maybe there’s some poorly understood atmospheric effect that’ll impact this year’s hurricane season, either limiting or enhancing it. Remember, none of the previous third year Nina seasons of the satellite era were hyperactive. There might be a shared reason as to why that’ll pop up this year. Or it’s a consequence of a small sample size.

I have a pretty small checklist of variables to describe how a season is going to behave; they are AMO (positive or negative), PDO (positive or negative), AMM (positive or negative), ENSO (positive classic, positive Modoki, negative classic, or negative Modoki), and Atlantic Niño (strong, weak, or not present). In my opinion, it does well explaining why seasons often underperform their base states. The underperformances 2021 and 2007 can be explained by the strong Atlantic Niño. The underperformances of 2011 can be explained by the Modoki La Niña.
0 likes   

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#991 Postby Hurricane Mike » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:37 pm

Getting major 2017 vibes from some of these mid-season precip indicators.
5 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#992 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:51 pm

Hurricane Mike wrote:Getting major 2017 vibes from some of these mid-season precip indicators.

Do you think the western Gulf would be active then? I’m not really seeing anything that suggests that? Looks more focused towards the eastern Gulf..
0 likes   

hurricane2025
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#993 Postby hurricane2025 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:28 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
Hurricane Mike wrote:Getting major 2017 vibes from some of these mid-season precip indicators.

Do you think the western Gulf would be active then? I’m not really seeing anything that suggests that? Looks more focused towards the eastern Gulf..

2008 is a analog year
1 likes   

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#994 Postby AlphaToOmega » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:40 pm

Cpv17 wrote:

My analog years are 2001, 2005, 2010, and 2020, all of which had activity in the western Gulf/Caribbean
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#995 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:53 pm

AlphaToOmega wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

My analog years are 2001, 2005, 2010, and 2020, all of which had activity in the western Gulf/Caribbean

Gotcha. I’m just going by what I’ve seen from some of these seasonal models which have been indicating a really busy eastern Gulf.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#996 Postby Steve » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:11 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

Gotcha. I’m just going by what I’ve seen from some of these seasonal models which have been indicating a really busy eastern Gulf.

With Alpha’s, CSU, Weather Bell, etc etc bringing out many of the big dog analog seasons, there’s probably going to be plenty of pain across the Gulf.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#997 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:29 pm

3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#998 Postby skyline385 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:34 pm

I noticed this too but then I saw Alex and Andy's tweet how the SEAS5 had bias adjustment last year as it was underperforming constantly, kinda not a fair comparison at that point
3 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#999 Postby toad strangler » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:50 pm

So much SST handwringing across the campus :D

The AEW's will be there and they will move W. If SST's are off a smidge for the most part they will move a bit further W. And so on.
3 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1000 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:53 pm

If these models are really onto something, I think it’s within reason to say that this season is not playing games :double:
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”