ATL: NESTOR - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

facemane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: ATL: INVEST 96L - Discussion

#121 Postby facemane » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:30 am

MississippiWx wrote:I suspect most people from Mississippi westward will not see much in the way of impacts from this. It should be highly sheared with most impacts on the east side. Rough surf and possibly minor coastal flooding could affect extreme SE Louisiana and Mississippi. Alabama and points eastward should see most of the impacts. These sheared systems always trend east. We will see.

Agreed, I woke up to a 50 degree morning here in Biloxi. We knew it was coming. This is why I had doubts about the Euro showing
a central La. landfall a few days ago.
0 likes   

HurricaneAndre2008
Category 1
Category 1

#122 Postby HurricaneAndre2008 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:31 am

Special Message from NHC Issued 17 Oct 2019 14:27 UTC
NHC will initiate advisories on Potential Tropical Cyclone Sixteen, located over the southwestern Gulf of Mexico, at 10 AM CDT.
1 likes   
Cindy(2005), Katrina(2005), Rita(2005), Erin(2007), Isaac(2012)

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#123 Postby chaser1 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:31 am

NDG wrote:What a big system 96L is becoming, the short wave is ventilating it. I would expect that by it becoming more of a subtropical system the tropical storm force winds could reach the west coast of the peninsula. IMO.

https://i.imgur.com/7LZp4MZ.jpg

Yep, I think you're right.... though I'll be surprised if this system will truly have sustained winds exceeding 40 knots. To your point though, much of that wind will likely be broadly fanning out east and north of center. I'd guess that Crystal River Fla. northward to west of Panama City should get plenty of T.S. force gusts. Gonna be a wet blustery 24 hours for the Tallahassee to Ceder Key corridor. Depending on tides, there could be some significant piling of water in the Horseshoe Beach area/Steinhatchee area all the way up to Apalachee Bay.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#124 Postby cycloneye » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:33 am

NHC will initiate advisories on Potential Tropical Cyclone Sixteen, located over the southwestern Gulf of Mexico, at 10 AM CDT.
2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#125 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:37 am

chaser1 wrote:
NDG wrote:What a big system 96L is becoming, the short wave is ventilating it. I would expect that by it becoming more of a subtropical system the tropical storm force winds could reach the west coast of the peninsula. IMO.

Yep, I think you're right.... though I'll be surprised if this system will truly have sustained winds exceeding 40 knots. To your point though, much of that wind will likely be broadly fanning out east and north of center. I'd guess that Crystal River Fla. northward to west of Panama City should get plenty of T.S. force gusts. Gonna be a wet blustery 24 hours for the Tallahassee to Ceder Key corridor. Depending on tides, there could be some significant piling of water in the Horseshoe Beach area/Steinhatchee area all the way up to Apalachee Bay.

Always have to watch for surge impacts in that area from Cedar Key and up and along the coast concerning Apalachee Bay.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#126 Postby chaser1 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:39 am

HurricaneAndre2008 wrote:Special Message from NHC Issued 17 Oct 2019 14:27 UTC

Given the timing here, there was just no way advisories could have been held off much longer. Plus with "landfall" (i use that term very loosely) expected for Saturday there's the need for people to be alert for those needing to take any action; Especially area's prone to coastal or river flooding.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: SIXTEEN - Potential Tropical Cyclone

#127 Postby GCANE » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:40 am

Larger area of high rain-rate convection developing.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#128 Postby chaser1 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:41 am

northjaxpro wrote:
chaser1 wrote:

Always have to watch for surge impacts in that area from Cedar Key and up and along the coast concerning Apalachee Bay.

Has anyone already posted the expected (normal) tide times and heights for up there?
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#129 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:43 am

Circ becoming more defined very quickly. With deep convection continuing to expand. All the could debris and convection well north a east is not part of the circ.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#130 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:45 am

chaser1 wrote:

Given the timing here, there was just no way advisories could have been held off much longer. Plus with "landfall" (i use that term very loosely) expected for Saturday there's the need for people to be alert for those needing to take any action; Especially area's prone to coastal or river flooding.

Precisely Chaser! I touched on this very fact a bit earlier. NHC had to to get this out NOW. Time is of the absolute essence now. It is critical that advisories and public awareness get out about this system as impacts are imminent inside of 48 hours.
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#131 Postby NDG » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:48 am

The drier cooler air is not making much headway offshore, lots of warm moist air over most of GOM for the system to intensify starting as fully tropical system, but eventually becoming more subtropical. IMO.

0 likes   

TallyTracker
Category 2
Category 2

#132 Postby TallyTracker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:52 am

northjaxpro wrote:
chaser1 wrote:

Precisely Chaser! I touched on this very fact a bit earlier. NHC had to to get this out NOW. Time is of the absolute essence now. It is critical that advisories and public awareness get out about this system as impacts are imminent inside of 48 hours.

It is critical. Lots of people are downplaying this storm, but 45 mph+ wind gusts in the area hit by Hurricane Michael last year will be very bad and dangerous. Many people will need to seek shelter since they live in tents, trailers, and tarped houses. It doesn’t need to be like Michael to cause a major impact.
Last edited by TallyTracker on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Fran '96, Georges '98, Gordon '00, Gabrielle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Barry '07, Fay '08, Debby '12, Matthew '16, Emily '17, Irma '17, Michael ‘18, Elsa ‘21, Fred ‘21, Mindy ‘21, Nicole ‘22, Idalia ‘23

jaxfladude
Category 5
Category 5

Re: RE: Re: ATL: INVEST 96L - Discussion

#133 Postby jaxfladude » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:54 am

northjaxpro wrote:
Ubuntwo wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:A good possibility that NHC may go straght to TS and no doubt we will see an advisory package later this morning, or sooner.

They have no reason to jump to ts, last ascat as posted here can justify maybe 25kt max. It’s probably a depression but winds have got to catch up to get a name.

I think by the time Recon gets in there later today, there is a real good chance it may be at TS intensity. The winds will catch up as the day progresses. This cyclone indeed may have some surprises up his sleeve and actually it is making me feel a bit uneasy currently. Latest reliable models, .now including the 00Z EURO, all now are showing a stronger cyclone going into the weekend.
Any impact for us here in NE FLA/SE GA?
1 likes   
Stay safe y'all

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#134 Postby tolakram » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:55 am

4 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#135 Postby cycloneye » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:00 am

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect from the Mississippi/Alabama
border to the Ochlockonee River, Florida.

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect from Grand Isle, Louisiana to
the Mouth of the Pearl River.

A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect east of the Ochlockonee River to
Yankeetown, Florida.

A Storm Surge Watch is in effect from Indian Pass, Florida, to
Clearwater, Florida.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#136 Postby chaser1 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:00 am

Aric Dunn wrote:Circ becoming more defined very quickly. With deep convection continuing to expand. All the could debris and convection well north a east is not part of the circ.

At least initially, this looks to have a fairly tight center. Organizationally, I'd guess this could be close to a weak T.D. Lets see how soon we begin to see some banding features. I'm still thinking the LLC trying to deepen is around 22N and 96W
0 likes   

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#137 Postby Nuno » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:00 am

Are conditions favorable for moderate deepening up until landfall?
0 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: ATL: INVEST 96L - Discussion

#138 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:02 am

jaxfladude wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:
Ubuntwo wrote:They have no reason to jump to ts, last ascat as posted here can justify maybe 25kt max. It’s probably a depression but winds have got to catch up to get a name.

I think by the time Recon gets in there later today, there is a real good chance it may be at TS intensity. The winds will catch up as the day progresses. This cyclone indeed may have some surprises up his sleeve and actually it is making me feel a bit uneasy currently. Latest reliable models, .now including the 00Z EURO, all now are showing a stronger cyclone going into the weekend.
Any impact for us here in NE FLA/SE GA?

Impacts for NE FL and SE GA will primarily be significant rainfall. Could see 1-3 inches generally for the event, although some spots could receive upwards to 5-6 inches. It will be breezy , but the more TS winds will be experienced across the Big Bend region and Gulf coast regions primarily, UNLESS, the track deviates farther south and east. If that happens, then we could see a bit more in wind impacts across Northeast Florida. Just monitor closely.
Last edited by northjaxpro on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

MetsIslesNoles
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#139 Postby MetsIslesNoles » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:04 am

TallyTracker wrote:It is critical. Lots of people are downplaying this storm, but 45 mph+ wind gusts in the area hit by Hurricane Michael last year will be very bad and dangerous. Many people will need to seek shelter since they live in tents, trailers, and tarped houses yet. Tallahassee Democrat was downplaying it this morning cause it won’t be like Michael. But it doesn’t need to be like Michael to cause a major impact.

TDO is stupid to downplay. They forget that Hermine didn't get over 70mph here and Tally had all kinds of problems. Between the 40 day drought and the little bit of rain we just had, 45mph here or more will take out plenty of branches and trees.
0 likes   

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#140 Postby HurricaneBelle » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:04 am

NHC likes the FL panhandle for greatest impacts, 53% chance of TS winds at Panama City, 49% Apalachicola, 48% Tallahassee, only 8% in Tampa.
1 likes   

Return to “2019”