ATL: NESTOR - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

rigbyrigz
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: NESTOR - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#521 Postby rigbyrigz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:43 pm

Emmett_Brown wrote:I'm hoping the next flight will give us a better idea of the size of the wind field.

so, until the plane reports what the (surface?) winds are around the center, where NO CONVECTION SHOWS on satellite or radar, we do NOT know what winds are there to affect anyone who gets a hit from that? Really?
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#522 Postby wxman57 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:43 pm

rigbyrigz wrote:Here in Big Bend it appears that Convection Blob will pass south and east of us, while the center may be onto us directly. My urgent question please: are these 60-65 mph winds and gusts occurring at the surface ( in my face) actually swirling around the convectionless center so that there will be a high wind impact we will FEEL, (perhaps without much rain?)

There isn't much at all anywhere near the center. As in my post above, maybe 20-25 kts north of the center. You'd be hard pressed to find any 60 mph winds in this system.
2 likes   

rigbyrigz
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#523 Postby rigbyrigz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:46 pm

Thank you HDGator and WXMAN! Have had impacts by many storms, but usually saw (what) "convection (was) coming" LOL.
0 likes   

HDGator
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#524 Postby HDGator » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:47 pm

NDG wrote:Lots of rotating cells with the first line of storms that will be moving across the Peninsula this evening.

https://i.imgur.com/RDUyUX2.gif

NWS Tampa Bay is starting to pump out some Special Marine Warnings for Waterspouts in these cells just off shore.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#525 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:48 pm

Yeah need some recon on that SE side for sure.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#526 Postby NDG » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:49 pm

wxman57 wrote:The only convergence I see is along the frontal boundary east of the low center.

It is to the south of the frontal boundary and closer to the CoC, according to this graphic.

1 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#527 Postby psyclone » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:49 pm

rigbyrigz wrote:
Emmett_Brown wrote:I'm hoping the next flight will give us a better idea of the size of the wind field.

so, until the plane reports what the (surface?) winds are around the center, where NO CONVECTION SHOWS on satellite or radar, we do NOT know what winds are there to affect anyone who gets a hit from that? Really?

Make preps for a Netflix and chill evening. Your area is already under a TS warning. it will likely underwhelm when all is said and done...with the caveat to monitor as things can change.
2 likes   

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#528 Postby GeneratorPower » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:50 pm

Forgive my lack of attention to this thread and to Nestor, but I just looked at the satellite and it sure looks like we have a blob headed right for FL peninsula. Did I get that wrong?
1 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#529 Postby psyclone » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:53 pm

GeneratorPower wrote:Forgive my lack of attention to this thread and to Nestor, but I just looked at the satellite and it sure looks like we have a blob headed right for FL peninsula. Did I get that wrong?

There's a decent chance the worst weather associated with Nestor happens outside of the ts warning area...unless the convective configuration changes.
3 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#530 Postby boca » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:58 pm

I know all the models point to the big bend area but the blob is heading towards South Florida and we might get rain down here so we might have an upgrade from high cirrus warning to rain watch.
0 likes   

ava_ati
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#531 Postby ava_ati » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:00 pm

HDGator wrote:
NDG wrote:Lots of rotating cells with the first line of storms that will be moving across the Peninsula this evening.

https://i.imgur.com/RDUyUX2.gif

NWS Tampa Bay is starting to pump out some Special Marine Warnings for Waterspouts in these cells just off shore.

Yeah I would be far more concerned about those supercells just offshore of Tampa than I would be of the naked swirl headed towards Port St. Joe
3 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#532 Postby Ivanhater » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:16 pm

Nasty cold and wet in Pensacola. All events cancelled tonight
0 likes   
Michael

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#533 Postby SFLcane » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:16 pm

Not much will be felt at landfall with this thing all the weather is to the south and east of whatever stretched out circulation there is. Sure looks sub-tropical to me
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#534 Postby SFLcane » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:20 pm

boca wrote:I know all the models point to the big bend area but the blob is heading towards South Florida and we might get rain down here so we might have an upgrade from high cirrus warning to rain watch.

Remember IR is cloud tops so you'll get cirrus canopy even in areas without thunderstorms. Watch out for that cirrus warning :lol:
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#535 Postby psyclone » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:25 pm

FWIW the core of the lightning with the heart of the "blob" is at about the latitude of Lee/Charlotte counties.
0 likes   

caneman
Category 5
Category 5

#536 Postby caneman » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:30 pm

psyclone wrote:FWIW the core of the lightning with the heart of the "blob" is at about the latitude of Lee/Charlotte counties.

Thunder really popping just offshore Clearwater beach. Raining all day
0 likes   

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#537 Postby GeneratorPower » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:48 pm

psyclone wrote:FWIW the core of the lightning with the heart of the "blob" is at about the latitude of Lee/Charlotte counties.

I’m wondering if it continues heading generally east or if it suddenly shoots north. Interesting system.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#538 Postby chaser1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:51 pm

What? No local warnings here? We're well past high cirrus!
Cirro & Altostratus light showers officially occuring here in the Orlando area. Winds blowing out of the southeast at..... er, nevermind. It's dead calm. Anyway, food rations in hand (4 slim-jims). My yard is likely to get really wet tonight but it's okay. I've got nerves of steal.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

robbielyn
Category 5
Category 5

#539 Postby robbielyn » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:53 pm

caneman wrote:

Thunder really popping just offshore Clearwater beach. Raining all day

See i told you pinellas gets worse weather than hernando lol.just started raining very light at 3pm no wind. i saw projected radar for whole passage of storm through tomorrow on weather channel video off their website; pinellas gets much more rain
1 likes   
Robbielyn McCrary
I know just about enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about sometimes. But for your safety please follow the nhc for truly professional forecasting. :D

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#540 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:02 pm

now that it is moving again... the center at least. it may start to try and build convection around the center.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Return to “2019”