ATL: GONZALO - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 99L - Discussion

#201 Postby chaser1 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:16 am

:lol: Great post. Say's Gonzalo.... "hey Rosby, I've got your downward motion right here" LOL.
5 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

HurricaneEnzo
Category 2
Category 2

#202 Postby HurricaneEnzo » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:19 am

As others have mentioned it pretty much appears to be a lock for classification at 5pm. Doesn't look like it is going to be weakening at least in the next few hours. I guess they could always throw out a special advisory sooner but probably not likely with no current threats to land.

If trends continue I feel like this will probably go straight to TS at 5pm. Wouldn't surprise me at least. Also as others have said after post season analysis time of formation will probably be moved up several hours.
0 likes   
Bertha 96' - Fran 96' - Bonnie 98' - Dennis 99' - Floyd 99' - Isabel 03' - Alex 04' - Ophelia 05' - Irene 11' - Arthur 14' - Matthew 16' - Florence 18' - Dorian 19' - Isaias 20' (countless other tropical storms and Hurricane swipes)

I am not a Professional Met just an enthusiast. Get your weather forecasts from the Pros!

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#203 Postby OuterBanker » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:23 am

Far and away the most symmetrical and well-formed system this season.
Classic look as against the lopsided messes so far this season.
System emerging off Africa now also a threat, I think. Lid has popped off. Off to the races we go.
1 likes   

Socalhurcnegirl227
Category 1
Category 1

#204 Postby Socalhurcnegirl227 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:28 am

OuterBanker wrote:Far and away the most symmetrical and well-formed system this season.
System emerging off Africa now also a threat, I think. Lid has popped off. Off to the races we go.

You know Its officially hurricane season when we all become enthralled tracking a 99L Lol
8 likes   
"I'm a wandress, i'm a one night stand,
dont belong to no city, dont belong to no man
i'm the violence in the pouring rain,
I'm a hurricane"

BYG Jacob
Category 3
Category 3

#205 Postby BYG Jacob » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:31 am

OuterBanker wrote:Far and away the most symmetrical and well-formed system this season.

Have you looked at our other storms so far?
1 likes   

gfsperpendicular
Category 1
Category 1

#206 Postby gfsperpendicular » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:36 am

I don't think this is completely fair to some of the other storms we've had so far. Edouard (and Fay to an extent) were lopsided, but not really a mess. Arthur and Bertha were very symmetrical, Cristobal had a nice solid CDO before its Mexico landfall and a nice round structure before its Louisiana one, and Dolly had an eye for a bit.
1 likes   
I'm not sleeping, I'm waiting for the 0900 UTC advisory!

#1 CMC stan

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#207 Postby chaser1 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:39 am

Ubuntwo wrote:
EquusStorm wrote:Yeah persistence didn't mean much for some of our brief systems the last couple years, Olga existed for three advisories

They throw persistence out the window when there's recon and it's a land threat in the short term.

So true. Bermuda is still reeling from the damage from Arthur, Dolly, and Edouard. Last I heard, there was still one beach umbrella missing. Psychologists on the Island claim many residents still experiencing PTSD from those scares :roflmao: How much does each Recon flight cost? Just so NHC can name a transient N. Atlantic low? I say, NHC needs to throw weak hybrid non tropical storms out the window and leave them and other N. Atlantic gales to the other "big boys" that work for the NWS. I'm sure they can handle local forecast and warnings. If persistence no longer matters toward issuing Tropical cyclone upgrades, then ship, bouy, or drone reports, ASCAT, & other satellite derived tools need be trusted for equally quick classification and upgrade. I'm mean c'mon..... astronomers don't choose to not identify comets and asteroids just because they don't pose a risk to Earth, right?
5 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#208 Postby OuterBanker » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:46 am

BYG Jacob wrote:

Yes, I have.
This year the first six storms have produced an ACE of less than 8 (7.8) while the first five storms produced an ACE of 56 in 2005.
It’s also ironic that the ACE so far this year is one of the lowest on record.
1 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#209 Postby CyclonicFury » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:47 am

OuterBanker wrote:
BYG Jacob wrote:

Yes, I have.
This year the first six storms have produced an ACE of less than 8 (7.8) while the first five storms produced an ACE of 56 in 2005.

This isn't true. Yes it is among the lowest for the first 6 storms but ACE is still above the long term average for this date.
6 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

BYG Jacob
Category 3
Category 3

#210 Postby BYG Jacob » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:50 am

OuterBanker wrote:
BYG Jacob wrote:

Yes, I have.

In sports we call this box score scouting. Barebones MPH and ACE analysis tells you nothing about the storms.

Also, ACE is in fact well above average
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#211 Postby AutoPenalti » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:54 am

Well, this definitely has the tropical storm look to it this afternoon. This has to be TS Gonzalo by 5pm.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#212 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:56 am

a series of hot towers ( feeders) are about to complete the first full cycle around the center effectively close the moisture loop.

probably about to see a big burst of convection..
3 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#213 Postby toad strangler » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:58 am

I’m with the It’s Gonzalo now crowd. I know you can’t judge a book by its cover but this as compared with named early season sub tropical turds we’ve had? Come on
5 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#214 Postby EquusStorm » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:59 am

It isn't exactly normal to have multiple long track category 4+ storms in July though so I'd say 2005's early ACE is a bit anomalous and hard to compare to other than noting their first six storms were certainly more tropical in origin than 5 of our 6 so far. And that might not even tell the whole story since the number of baroclinic transitioning systems could indicate a ridiculously favorable background state
6 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

plasticup
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#215 Postby plasticup » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:00 pm

Frankly this is the best looking storm of the season so far.
0 likes   
Eyes: Emily '86, Dean '89, Felix '95, Gert '99, Fabian '03, Humberto '19, Paulette '20

Extratropical94
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#216 Postby Extratropical94 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:01 pm

Apart from the general look, are there any indicators that this is a 35kt system? I doubt that the NHC will go straight to Gonzalo when they have been ever so conservative with this blob.
3 likes   
54° 11' 59'' N, 9° 9' 20'' E
Boomer Sooner!
Go Broncos! Go Cards! Go Niners!
- Daniel

storminabox
Category 1
Category 1

#217 Postby storminabox » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:06 pm

aspen wrote:Looks like a TC to me. Fingers crossed it gets classified in the upcoming advisory.

I feel like there were other systems this year that looked far less robust than 99L that they had no problem classifying!
0 likes   

cainjamin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#218 Postby cainjamin » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:08 pm

Extratropical94 wrote:Apart from the general look, are there any indicators that this is a 35kt system? I doubt that the NHC will go straight to Gonzalo when they have been ever so conservative with this blob.

Yeah I would be surprised if they go straight to Gonzalo. Most recent ASCAT showed around 30kt so I bet that will be their initial intensity.

Unless things change before 5pm of course!
2 likes   
Noel '07, Kyle '08, Earl '10, Arthur '14, Dorian '19, Teddy '20, Lee '23

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#219 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:10 pm

plasticup wrote:Frankly this is the best looking storm of the season so far.

And yet it’s not even classified yet! :lol:
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#220 Postby chaser1 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:16 pm

Extratropical94 wrote:Apart from the general look, are there any indicators that this is a 35kt system? I doubt that the NHC will go straight to Gonzalo when they have been ever so conservative with this blob.

I think you're right. NHC is often a bit conservative with Central or Eastern Atlantic upgrades. I can clearly see west winds, banding features, tremendous south rear flank inflow, and COC co-located convection firing north and south of center but that alone does not an upgrade to T.S. make. ASCAT seems to easily confirm this is a T.D. but i've yet to see 35 kt winds. If continued convective bursting takes place even during DMIN, then pressure falls are likely occurring. Better banding and continued deepening might bring this to T.S. Gonzalo later tonight but i'd be surprised for NHC to quite so quickly pull that trigger. I think that if this system continues to progress then we might see NHC tag this as "Gonzalo" between day-break and noon tomorrow. Sooner then that would really surprise me.
3 likes   

Return to “2020”