ATL: DANNY - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 96L - Discussion

#41 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:41 pm

The LLC has pretty much decoupled from the MLC...I dont see an upgrade unless it starts firing over the center again or the center reforms.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#42 Postby Jr0d » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:59 pm

With the LLC moving slower and becoming exposed, it will likely prevent further development tonight. However it will allow the ULL to the west to move further away and possibly making a less hostile environment, it will also give it more time over the gulfstream.

I would bet on this becoming a depression tomorrow. As I posted earlier, the water west of the gulfstream along the Georgia and SC coast is significantly cooler so once this system moves west of the gulfstream it will lose a lot of potential ocean energy....even if this strengthens significantly over the gulfstream tomorrow it will most likely weaken before landfall.
0 likes   

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby AlphaToOmega » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:03 pm

Based on what has happened before, I would give this a high chance of development. Tropical Storms Bertha (2020) and Bill (2021) developed out of the blue, and it is possible Invest 96L is added to that list.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:09 pm

Jr0d wrote:With the LLC moving slower and becoming exposed, it will likely prevent further development tonight. However it will allow the ULL to the west to move further away and possibly making a less hostile environment, it will also give it more time over the gulfstream.

I would bet on this becoming a depression tomorrow. As I posted earlier, the water west of the gulfstream along the Georgia and SC coast is significantly cooler so once this system moves west of the gulfstream it will lose a lot of potential ocean energy....even if this strengthens significantly over the gulfstream tomorrow it will most likely weaken before landfall.

water temps all the way up to the coast are in the low 80s.

and yeah as the ULL moves farther away it should alow for this too deepen ovenight.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#45 Postby wxman57 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:09 pm

Scatterometer data from 1120Z indicate a sharp trof axis at the surface. Any circulation may be aloft. It may have peaked earlier today. Will be inland in about 24 hours.
2 likes   

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#46 Postby Jr0d » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:11 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:water temps all the way up to the coast are in the low 80s.

and yeah as the ULL moves farther away it should alow for this too deepen ovenight.

2 to 3°++ cooler near the coast...Tybee Island is at 80.6°, Myrtle Beach is at 78.8°.

There is a lot of water below 80° along the coast of Georgia and South Carolina....this should inhibit significant development after this moves west of the Gulfstream.
0 likes   

robbielyn
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby robbielyn » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:18 pm

i don’t think this will do too much.
Last edited by robbielyn on Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Robbielyn McCrary
I know just about enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about sometimes. But for your safety please follow the nhc for truly professional forecasting. :D

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:19 pm

Jr0d wrote:

2 to 3°++ cooler near the coast...Tybee Island is at 80.6°, Myrtle Beach is at 78.8°.

There is a lot of water below 80° along the coast of Georgia and South Carolina....this should inhibit significant development after this moves west of the Gulfstream.

check the nearby bouys currently where its at.. they are 79F it has actually been traversing a cool spot left over from the week long stalled front in this area.

bouys less then 20 miles off shore are in the low 80s.. temps go up not down..

anything right along the coast wont effect the system that close to shore.

SO yeah SSTs wont be a problem starting overnight tonight.

2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

robbielyn
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby robbielyn » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:20 pm

AlphaToOmega wrote:Based on what has happened before, I would give this a high chance of development. Tropical Storms Bertha (2020) and Bill (2021) developed out of the blue, and it is possible Invest 96L is added to that list.

yeah but you know how pesky those upper level lows can be.
0 likes   
Robbielyn McCrary
I know just about enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about sometimes. But for your safety please follow the nhc for truly professional forecasting. :D

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby Hammy » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:10 pm

What happened to the recon mission? It hasn't updated since 18z.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby Jr0d » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:12 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
Jr0d wrote:

check the nearby bouys currently where its at.. they are 79F it has actually been traversing a cool spot left over from the week long stalled front in this area.

https://i.ibb.co/b1ZjVbR/1.png

Check the temps along the shore....mostly right at 80 or below along the coast of SC and GA....once this moves west of the Gulfstream it will lose a lot of latent heat from the ocean.

Also look at the SSTs on the satellite....a lot of sub 80 water west of the Gulfstream...that buoy maybe in a pool of relatively warmer water compared to the general area.
Last edited by Jr0d on Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:15 pm

Jr0d wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
Jr0d wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/b1ZjVbR/1.png

Check the temps along the shore....mostly right at 80 or below along the coast of SC and GA....once this moves west of the Gulfstream it will lose a lot of latent heat from the ocean.

as mentioned ... the immediate coastal temps will have almost no effect on it. especially moving at 10 to 15 mph.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#53 Postby aspen » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:16 pm

Hammy wrote:What happened to the recon mission? It hasn't updated since 18z.

It’s an Air Force recon mission. Good communications are rare with any of those. Odds are it’s either inside the storm or has landed back at a base due to technical issues.
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby CyclonicFury » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:17 pm

aspen wrote:

It’s an Air Force recon mission. Good communications are rare with any of those. Odds are it’s either inside the storm or has landed back at a base due to technical issues.

I don't think recon was supposed to investigate 96L until tomorrow. The plane was probably just heading to a spot closer so it wouldn't have to fly as far tomorrow.
2 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby AlphaToOmega » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:20 pm

A look at how the low has evolved:
0 likes   

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#56 Postby Jr0d » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:25 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:as mentioned ... the immediate coastal temps will have almost no effect on it. especially moving at 10 to 15 mph.

It will be over warmer temperature tomorrow....in the vicinity of the gulfstream...after that water temps drop off by a few degrees.

I can not find a detailed SST map for the GA and SC coast...but this one showing N.Fl and GA gives an idea of what the potential energy of the water west of the Gulfstream.

https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/cont ... fmex.c.gif
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#57 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:28 pm

Jr0d wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:as mentioned ... the immediate coastal temps will have almost no effect on it. especially moving at 10 to 15 mph.

It will be over warmer temperature tomorrow....in the vicinity of the gulfstream...after that water temps drop off by a few degrees.

I can not find a detailed SST map for the GA and SC coast...but this one showing N.Fl and GA gives an idea of what the potential energy of the water west of the Gulfstream.

https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/cont ... fmex.c.gif

again.. point is... temps along the path are 80 or above .. and near shore, along the coast, will have no effect on it.. especially at 10 to 15kts.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#58 Postby Hammy » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:32 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
aspen wrote:

I don't think recon was supposed to investigate 96L until tomorrow. The plane was probably just heading to a spot closer so it wouldn't have to fly as far tomorrow.

Seems pretty pointless then, it'll be onshore before the mission begins.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby aspen » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:35 pm

Hammy wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:
aspen wrote:It’s an Air Force recon mission. Good communications are rare with any of those. Odds are it’s either inside the storm or has landed back at a base due to technical issues.

Seems pretty pointless then, it'll be onshore before the mission begins.

How long will it take to get a recon mission that isn’t scheduled right as a system or disturbance makes landfall?
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#60 Postby Jr0d » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:03 pm

The latest from the NHC did not increase the chances. We will see what happens when it's over the gulfstream tomorrow morning. Only a small window for this to develop...
0 likes   

Return to “2021”